53 | In the Mire

Seaside, California April 27, 2014

Lillian

THE one thing I wanted in life was just to be happy. Despite the hell that consumed my life I had found my happiness.

Yet the fight was not over yet. We may have defeated Seana but we were far from getting past her destruction. She had brought Elle down with her. 

Scott and I were almost to the Hathaway coven's headquarters. I dreaded going back to that place. The last time we were there it was an all-out brawl between everyone. 

Today was even worse. 

Zach had just helped me get Scott into Dad's Chrysler before we heard the commotion at Eddie's truck. Cel's father and a group of enforcers had it surrounded with weapons drawn. I remembered them from the coven meeting. 

They had no emotion in their eyes, pointing guns at a group of teenagers. Jeff Moone's words still bothered me hours later. It wasn't even harsh, it was his tone that instilled a sense of fear in me. 

"What was your plan Celseta? To harbor someone that is wanted by the coven?" her father had said. "All of you could be implicated just for helping her."

"She is innocent, all of this was because of Seana!" Cel shouted furiously.

Her father's expression had turned cold like he wasn't looking at his daughter anymore. I could never understand how he could become detached so easily. I felt his emotions vanish like he wasn't human anymore. He walked away after that, leaving us all there staring at the coven in disbelief. 

They took Seana and Elle away, along with Cynthia's body. And just as fast as they came they were gone. 

I could see the church now, along with the multitude of cars. It seemed like the entirety of the Hathaway coven was here tonight. 

"Maybe they will let me in this time," Scott mumbled as we found a place to park. 

"They better or I will have no problem blasting people across the room again," I asserted. 

I opened the door to the Camaro, the ground crunching under my shoes as I got out slowly. I could already feel my heart wanting to beat out of my chest. Our plan to save Elle was so fragile. Hopefully, my parents would make it here in time to convince the coven to let my cousin go. 

Scott was already beside me, grabbing my hand gently. He gave me an encouraging smile before tugging me along with him. 

"Everything is going to be fine," he whispered to me as we walked along the path to the entrance. 

"Sure, sure it is," I chuckled nervously. "It's not like Elle's life is on the line or anything."

"Lily the plan is going to work," Scott reassured.