38 | Stroke of Midnight

Seaside, California March 16, 2013

Celesta

JUST as Lily and I hurried down the corridor to the meeting chamber, I could feel the nervousness radiating off of my cousin in waves. I tightly linked my arm around hers and led her into the chamber.

Two factions had already formed. On one side sat my mother and most of the coven, the other side sat Lily's parents and a few others. I even noticed Cynthia had come, she sat beside Laura, her arms crossed.

That was strange, she wasn't even affiliated with the coven. 

My father was at the forefront of this God-forsaken meeting, he stood at the center, speaking to two men I realized were enforcers like he was. They were Amberly's father Andrew and Lily's great-uncle Peter.

Shouldn't our enforcers be out, you know, slaying everything that wasn't a witch or human?

He looked up and noticed us entering, but I just gave him the nastiest look I could manage. I led Lily to her parents and sat her down beside Samuel. I turned my head back to my father and as our eyes locked, I promptly took a seat beside Lily.

His expression darkened. I just gave him a smile and broke eye contact.

"Celesta you do not need to get involved with this," Laura murmured. "Why don't you go sit with your mother?"

"I will not," I announced. "In fact, this is just a personal issue my father has, why he needs to bring the whole coven into it is beyond me. I will not support him."

"Francis told Scott and me that this was because of our relationship, is it or is it something bigger?" Lily asked her parents.

"We won't know until he starts running his mouth," Laura remarked and gave my father a death glare. 

I turned to see my mother looking over at us, her face a mask of calm. I didn't know how she could stand behind my father in this. It just wasn't right. 

The doors suddenly slammed shut, and Lily's grandmother Lydia strode in, her expression not too happy. 

"Let the shitshow begin," I heard Cynthia mutter to herself. 

I couldn't help but snicker as Laura gave her an agitated look. 

My father stepped to the side and let Lydia have the room to begin talking, Andrew and Peter took a seat on their side of the room. 

"Thank you for coming on short notice," Lydia began, her voice echoing throughout the chamber. She glanced at my father, looking slightly annoyed. "State your business, Jeffery."

He just gave her a slight nod and took a step forward. 

"In two nights we are to welcome two young witches into our coven, yet as we all know there are some things in this coven that are forbidden," he began, his voice loud and domineering.