Friends

Hundreds of thoughts were rushing through his head. Did he hear it right? She did what? 

The moment they arrived at her living room, she pulled her hand from his grasp with a glare, but he had more pressing matters to bother about.

"You did what?" he asked. He could feel his voice trembling. Was he angry? Was he sad? Maybe he was slightly glad? He didn't know. 

Draco ran a hand through his hair frustratedly.

"So all these years, you didn't have even a single memory of me? Of us?" he asked.

"No!" Ashlyn snapped back. "And I don't regret it one bit now. I did before. At that time I thought I had no other option, but now maybe I would like to do it again. Just forget all of this,"

Draco let out a short humourless laugh.

"I've been thinking about you all this time, thinking about us, and you didn't even remember? Must have been easy. Just erasing it all off," he snapped.

"You think it was easy?" Ashlyn cried. "I wanted to call out, I wanted to talk to you, but you wouldn't listen!"

"Did you call out?" Draco yelled. "Because I don't remember hearing from you asking me to say. And take my word for it, since I'm the one who decided to keep my memories and not run away,"

"Run away?" Ashlyn snapped. "Well, I remember stuff for someone who has forgotten, even better than you! You were the one who walked away! You are the one who always walks away without an explanation!"

"I wanted to talk to you. I asked you if we could talk. At least you should've said a no. But did you? Did you? Of course not! Do you know what went through mind at that time?! What? You're too good for the mudblood?"

"Don't call yourself that!" Draco snarled.

"I'll call myself whatever I want!" Ashlyn yelled back.

"It was easy for you to ignore me, I suppose. Because I never got a reply. And you think I had time to mope around about you? Do you think I had time to cry over you? The exams were one week away, and I was still recovering, my headache was so terrible and I was doing terrible on every practice test! Nothing stayed in my mind except you! You!"

"Why does it always have to be you?!"

"I could say the same!" Draco bellowed. "You don't know what it was like! Since you could just forget it! You were moving on fine. And I was right there, still stuck,"

There were tears rolling down her cheeks now. She put a hand over her eyes, trying to calm herself down, but then retracted her hand quickly. She needed to calm down. She was overreacting. There was no need to get all frustrated and worked up, and particularly there was no reason to let anyone else know what was going on inside her head. They would all be just thoughts in the end...She should calm down...It wasn't working! She was supposed to calm down! Why couldn't she?!

"I wish I had done it properly. I wish I had forgotten you completely," she said weakly, her hands trembling slightly as her breath caught in her chest.

"Somehow I still managed to feel terrible every time I saw you, every time I heard your name. And you know what is worse? I didn't know why I was feeling that way! Suddenly I developed habits I never did before, and they reminded me of something but I didn't know what! And that pendant! That frickin' pendant! It never felt right without it, but when I wore it, I felt like breaking down and crying. And I didn't know why! But I still did, because some part of me wished I'd figure out whatever I was missing!"