Chapter 96: End of the Knight

Author's note:
- Hope you guys like this chapter and PLEASE leave a comment on what you guys think about this story.

As always, Batman would go out at night to fight crime and apprehend the last of the Blackgate escapees. Now that he is a vampire, Batman didn't want to depend too much on his new powers and stick with his natural human strength and methods.

Ever since the Joker died, there was barely any crime left to stop in the last few weeks. No bank robberies, no jewelry heist, and no mugging. All of the civilians were resting in the comfort of their homes with their families.

The police officers cheered when Batman helped them capture the last of the inmates and thanked him, little did they know that everything will now be different by the end of the night.

Back at the police precinct's rooftop, Gordon turned on the Bat signal and smoked a cigarette while waiting for Batman to come. He barely seen Batman for a few weeks and hoped he could show up tonight.

While Gordon was smoking his cigarette, Batman showed up on the rooftop unexpectedly.

GORDON: Oh, it's you. I didn't know you were coming here tonight.

BATMAN: I come here every night, don't I?

GORDON: Well not all the time lately.

BATMAN: That's.... not what I meant....

GORDON: (*sigh) I'm sorry... I didn't mean to make you feel that way. It's been a rough few weeks.

Batman was still feeling a bit little guilty about the Joker's death.

BATMAN: I could've saved him. I already had the cure but I was too late.

GORDON: Look, Johnny....

Batman didn't bothered at all now that Gordon knew who he truly is. He's always been a good friend over the years.

GORDON: I know you blame yourself from what happened, don't. It wasn't your fault.

Batman kind of felt better knowing that Gordon had his back but Batman still wanted to change the subject.

BATMAN: What did they do to the body?

GORDON: Once the autopsy was done at the coroner's office, we thought it was best to cremate the body.

Batman and Gordon felt skeptical about the idea of cremating a person's body, but it's the Joker after all. No one will miss him.

BATMAN: Anything else?

GORDON: Well there's one thing got me surprised. After what happened to that Van Helsing crap we've been through, crime rates have suddenly went low, which is a good thing.

BATMAN: Yeah, I noticed that earlier tonight.

GORDON: I guess a congratulations is in order. Good work out there, Batman. The citizens are once again safe thanks to you. So, is there anything else you want to tell me before you leave?

BATMAN: Yes... a goodbye.

GORDON: (*chuckle) So you're not gonna do that disappearing trick thing on me?

BATMAN: No. This is the end. This is the last time we meet.

Gordon raised an eyebrow in confusion from what Batman just said.