Chapter 72: The Killing Joke

Author's note:
- Hope you guys like this chapter and PLEASE leave a comment on what you guys think about this story.
- This chapter is basically just a flashback based form the popular comic 'Batman: The Killing Joke', exploring The Joker's origin story.

8 years ago....

At this point of time, Mavis and Johnny were still engaged after their vacation trip to Hawaii and this was just the beginning of Johnny's career as the Batman.

There was once a man who worked in the chemical plant as a lab assistant who was struggling to provide the needs for his pregnant wife.

Being uncomfortable of working in a place near experimental chemicals, he quit his job and started a new career. He wanted to become a comedian. He thought he could support his family even more than the job he had back at the chemical plant.

When he joined the comedy club, he got nervous up on stage in front of the audience that he messed up the timing of delivering his punchline. Not only didn't he fulfill his new career, but he also lost both jobs leaving him no other choice to support his pregnant wife. It was a completely failure.

The man went back to his old crappy apartment. While walking upstairs at the hallway, he sees his landlord, Mrs. Burkiss, scowling at him while holding her cat. All he did was to ignore the old lady and continued walking. He opened the door to his small apartment only to find his pregnant wife sitting on the table waiting for her husband.

(woman): Well, how did it go? Did they like your act?

(???): They.... they said they might call me.... I dunno.... I messed a few punch lines.

The man said in a weak tone as he sat on the table with his wife and facepalmed in frustration.

(woman): Oh....

The man removed his palm from his face and glared at his wife as he thought that his wife was upset at him.

(???): What do you mean 'oh'?

(woman): I didn't mean anything!

(???): Yes you did! The way you said 'oh' like that! You said 'oh' as in 'Oh, I should've known!' as in 'Oh, so how are we going to feed our baby?' You think I'm not worried about!? You think it's all a BIG JOKE!

The man stood up raising his voice and paced around in their small apartment room trying to control his temper.

(woman): Cheez... all I said was...

(???): I have to go up on stage and NOBODY LAUGHED! And you think....

The man cried and knelt down on his knees while hugging his pregnant wife.

(???): (*sobbing).... Oh god.... I'm so sorry.... I don't mean to take it out on you... you're suffering enough.... being married to a loser!

(woman): Honey, that's not.....

(???): (*sobbing) Yes it is true.... I can't support you.... oh Jeannie, what are we going to do?

JEANNIE: Shh... it'll be okay. The baby won't here for another three months. Mrs. Burkiss will let let the rent go a little longer. She feels sorry for me.

(???): She hates me.

The man stopped crying and walked towards to the window watching the poor neighborhood in a heavy rainfall.

(???): She comes out of the hallway to scowl at me every time I go upstairs. It stinks of cat litter and old people. I just got to get you out of here before the baby comes. I just want enough money for a decent neighborhood. There are girls on the street who earn that in the weekend without having to tell a single joke.