Chapter 68: Betrayal

Author's note:
- Hope you guys like this chapter and PLEASE leave a comment on what you guys think about this story.

It was a really bad day for Johnny. His body was in so much pain after Bane almost killed him, the entire police force has turned against him, he found out that he is related to Van Helsing, the Arkham Knight was his childhood friend Adrian Chase, his alter ego has been revealed in front of his family, and worst of all.... Mavis hated him for that.

Johnny lowered his head and closed his eyes recalling a few glimpses of his past, the night his parents, Mike and Linda, died in that dark alleyway and how Dracula and Mavis reacted when his secret has been revealed. He could hear their voices and the gunshot that killed his parents inside his head.

MIKE: You... you don't have to do this!

LINDA: Take whatever you want!

💥BANG!💥

ARKHAM KNIGHT: (*chuckle) It means that you have to face the truth sometimes. Right, Batman?

DRACULA: That is why from now on, Johnathan is no longer welcome in the hotel! He is forbidden to see Mavis and Dennis again!

MAVIS: I NEVER SHOULD'VE TRUSTED YOU!!!

Johnny and Alfred remained silent in the Batcave after discovering the untold truth about his parents. Alfred begged for a sign that would help him reach out for Johnny.

ALFRED: Johnathan, please. Just say something. Anything.

Johnny just stood there silently and grunted a little from his body pain. Johnny had enough courage to express how upset he truly is.

JOHNNY: How could you hide this from me, Alfred! For all these years!

ALFRED: What would you have me do? You were a child. I've been dreading the day you learn the truth about Van Helsing for nearly two decades. I hoped it would never come.

JOHNNY: Forget Van Helsing! I wanna hear it from you!

ALFRED: The truth is they were your family, Johnathan. Van Helsing was a dangerous man. All your parents ever wanted was to protect you and your siblings from that monster.

JOHNNY: You've kept their secrets for them!

ALFRED: I'm trying to help you understand.

JOHNNY: THEN TRY HARDER!

Johnny shouted in anger while Alfred was surprised from the tone of his response. The two remained silent again for a moment as Johnny crossed his arms.

ALFRED: When your parents died, they left me as caretaker of their estate, their children.... and their secret. I would never betray them.

JOHNNY: Then tell me what I need to know.

ALFRED: Before you were born, your father and grandfather, Dennis, were members of the Van Helsing family. Your grandfather thought it would be best to drop this crusade against monsters once and for all and start a new life. Your uncle however was obsessed of the Van Helsing tradition. While Mike and his father left for California, his brother or your uncle, Gabriel, stayed to carry on the legacy without them.

Everything that Johnny thought about his family felt so different now. All this time he sees their parents as the people who were doing the right thing but he never thought of them being involved with something evil.