Chapter 18

“Couldn’t you have kept it down last night? Some people were trying to sleep you know.” Scarlet said to us the next morning making us both grone. “What’s that look for? You know I could say a lot worse right.”

“Scarlet darling, it’s not that I don’t love you but there are some things you just shouldn’t say to people.” I told her before popping a piece of bacon in my mouth.

Scarlet simply hummed, “And Cyan dear when there’s three people in the middle of nowhere and two of them are having sex it makes the third person feel very left out.”

“I’m not having sex with you.” Kyle cut in sounding rather aggravated.

“Ow don’t worry. I’m a horse lover remember. Bestiality is just so my thing.” The image in my head was on of her with sarcasm literally dripping off her tongue.

“You not normal.” I told her.

“Me?” She asked.

“Yes you.” I said.

“I’m the one that’s not normal?” She replied.

“Yere.” Was my answer before she burst out laughing.

“It can laugh!, God Cy are you hearing this the ting can laugh!” Kyle said sounding so amassed it just had me cracking up to.

Before I knew it we were packing up camp, well they were while I just sat in the car playing with the radio. When it was all done I couldn’t help but smile as we drove off. The gentle rocking of the car as we drove down the unused roads was hypnotising and soon had me dropping off after my very restless night.

~~~

When I woke up I didn’t open my eyes, honestly I was just to lazy not that it would make any difference.

“I honestly cant believe you.” It was Scarlet’s voice in a whisper shout. “If you do anything and I mean anything…”

“Scar don’t, I’m sorry ok.” That was Kyle, interesting much?

“Sorry doesn’t cover it Ki. Last night must have been great for you but…” Again Kyle cut her off.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen, I swear!” That wasn’t even a whisper. “I just…I don’t know, it’s not like I planed it, it’s not like it entirely my fault.”

“But I asked you Ki, I asked you to wait and you promised me.” She said back to whispering though she sounded nearly in tears. “Wasn’t what this trip was all about, final farewell’s and stuff. I asked you to wait until I was gone because I like you Kyle, I really like you and you promised me that. But apparently promises don’t mean anything any more.”

“I just…” Now he got cut off.

“It doesn’t matter what happened, all that matters in the end is that it happened.” She said before I herd her slam herself back into the seat.

“I’m sorry Scarlet but you know how much I like him and it’s not that I don’t like you to it’s just that, that well, that right now your holding your head. Your holding it because it’s hurting and that means it’s filling up with blood so you’ll die soon.” He sounded so cruel as he said the harsh reality. I couldn’t see Scarlet, just listen to her voice. I hadn’t realised how bad she’d gotton in that short length of time.

“So because I’m going to die soon it’s ok to betray my trust?” She asked sounding sad.

“No, Scar, that’s not what I meant, not al all.” That seemed to be the end of there conversation for a while.

Scarlet liked Kyle though, as in really liked him. I’d hurt her without knowing it and now I felt horrible. It wasn’t often I felt sorry for myself, admitted that I needed looking after but compared to Scarlet I may as well be fit as a fiddle. What if I’m not the hero, what if I’m the bad guy? The quote echoed around in my head. It was from that story she’d written down for me, the one we’d done together. I sure felt like the bad guy now though.

“You know,” Scarlet said though I’m not sure who she was talking to. “The happiest people don’t have the best of everything they just make the best of everything and in the end that’s the best revenge of all. Nothing drives people madder than seeing you have a good fucking life.” God that end bit sounded pretty aggressive in how she’s said it.

But I agreed with her. The reason she could be happy was because she made the best of what she had and she did that to drive those people who didn’t do it insane. That’s why I love her though. Because no matter how bad things got she’d always still be smiling.

And right now she was putting on a brave face for me, even though I couldn’t see it I knew she was.

She was in pain with her head. In pain because she loves Kyle. In pain because soon she’d have to let it all go.

I felt like it was my fault. I’d been getting at sleeping together last night, doing it even though we’d barely kissed the moment had just felt right. Yet now I was regretting every word of it, ever movement and ever second that I’d spent happy with Kyle last night while she had to listen to the person she liked having sex with someone else. Me, me who was right now supposed to be her best friend. God, nothing could make me feel worse.

“Does he know?” She asked Kyle.

“What that you like me? I don’t think so.” She must have given him some kind of look or something because he quickly rushed on. “Ow, you mean about me coming to see you at the hospital. No, no he doesn’t know and I’d rather he not find out.”

To late, I thought bitterly. So he’d been visiting her without me. Now I felt a little betrayed.

Scarlet sighed “Kyle we need to tell him, if he finds out after…”

“No he wont find out, how can he?” Kyle said sounding almost distressed. Half of me wanted to jump up and just yell I know at him but I knew it wouldn’t do anything, well nothing good anyway.

“No regrets,” she said. “Remember.”

“Scar,” He sighed.

“I’ll tell him Kyle. I may as well,” She said almost sounding happy, almost.

~~~

“We’ll be there tomorrow,” Kyle told us as we got ready for bed that night.

“I thought we’d be there ion two days?” Scar said to him .

“Lets just say I broke a few speed limits today,” he said sounding cheesely proud of himself.

“You trying to get me killed?” I said mockingly.

“Is it snowing?” he asked.

“No?” was that a trick question?

“Well there’s your answer then.” He was sticking his tong out at me, I could tell. Immature child.