Chapter 19: Oppressed

Start from the beginning

I fell silent because every word he said stabbed me; they hurt so bad. That made my eyes moisten.

"You don't know the damage you did. Demi is a cancer survivor! She has sensitive bones now!"

I just looked away.

"You need to apologize to Demi."

"I d-don't want to . . ."

"Fara, don't make this situation worse. When someone is hurt because of you whether you intend it or not, you need to apologize. Be sensitive to others' feelings."

"D-demi knows I didn't mean to hurt her," pagmamatigas ko. I didn't want to apologize to Demi. No way!

Storm took a deep breath and combed his hair in exasperation. "They are so angry with you right now. You will apologise to her whether you like it or not."

I suddenly blew a fuse. "I said I don't want to! They are angry with me because they love Demi! And you don't know that because you are also siding with Demi! You know that I hate Demi but you're pushing me to apologize to her! I'll never do that! No way!"

All of a sudden I remembered what his cousin told me: "First love never dies." Now I wanted to believe that. The way Storm defended Demi, he seemed still into Demi. I believed that Storm was sincere when he told me that he loves me, but his love for Demi was still there. I just didn't know what was more stronger.

"That's not what―"

"No! I know . . . y-you love her more!" I said and lay down on the bed. I cried on the pillow.

He didn't say anything but I knew that he was staring at me. I hated his silence; it brought pain. He should've denied it, but no, he didn't. It made me think... Did it mean he really loved Demi more?

After a moment, I heard the door creak open and then close, indicating that he left the room.

I cried until I just felt my eyes got tired, but I didn't fall asleep after crying. I really couldn't sleep at this moment because the pain in my chest was keeping me awake. Most of all, I felt oppressed because everybody hated me, even my own husband.

It was dinner time when Storm came back to the room holding a food tray. "Eat your dinner," he said as he placed it on the bedside table; and then he left me alone again.

I didn't feel hunger so I didn't touch the food. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. I waited for Storm to come back. Sanay kasi ako na kasama ko siya sa pagtulog, kaya naman medyo hirap talaga ako matulog kapag may mga business meeting siya sa malalayong lugar.

Narinig kong bumukas ang pintuan ngunit nanatili ako sa posisyon ko. Hindi ko siya nilingon. Bahagya kong minulat ang mga mata. Nakita kong lumapit siya sa bedside table, tila tiningnan niya kung kinain ang pagkain na naroon. Narinig ko ang paghinga niya nang malalim. Pagkatapos, pumunta muna siya ng banyo bago sumampa sa kama.

I heard him utter praises to God, until he started mumbling; he was praying. After he had prayed, he lay down. I waited for him to hug me as what he was usually doing every time we went to sleep, but he didn't do it; he didn't come closer to me. Tila piniga ang puso ko dahil doon.

Nagpalipas ako nang ilang minuto bago ako lumingon sa pwesto niya; at nakita kong mahimbing na ang tulog.

I just sadly gazed at him.

***

I woke up in the morning without Storm's presence beside me. When I checked my phone, I saw Kuya Tyler's text message to me. He said that Ate Peachy and him already went home this early morning.