Chapter 18: Anger in His Eyes

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I've missed our late night talks . . ."

I felt a heavy feeling while I was listening to their chitter-chatter. I could see how they loved Demi. They never talked to me in that way and never invited me to sleep in the bed with them. Now, I felt ashamed, knowing that Demi witnessed how Storm's cousins treated me, that they liked her more than me.

After we had watched the movie, I locked myself in Storm's room. Although Storm's aunties were talking to me, I still felt awkward. I was never comfortable with Storm's family although they weren't doing something wrong with me. I just couldn't socialize well. Maybe this was the effect of Dad's way of raising me; he never trained me to socialize with other people. Now, here I was, struggling with introversion.

I heard knocks on the door so I stood up and opened it. It was Storm. His hair was a little bit wet with sweat because he played basketball with his cousins.

"Why are you here? Join the girls in the living room," he said as he walked into the room.

I didn't answer. Napasunod lang ako ng tingin sa kanya na dumiretso sa bathroom para maligo.

I went to the bed and waited for Storm. Nang lumabas siya ng bathroom, bagong bihis na siya. Tumabi siya sa akin kaya naamoy ko ang mabangong sabon na ginamit niya. Umakap siya sa akin nang tila naglalambing.

"The girls are having fun in the living room. Join them," he told me.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I don't want," I replied wearing a sad face.

"Why? Don't set yourself apart."

"Demi is there," inis na sabi ko.

"What's the matter if Demi is there? We already talked about this, right?"

I just looked away.

"I don't want you to set yourself apart―"

"I just can't be with her. I don't want her here," I cut him off.

Bumuntong-hininga siya at lumayo sa akin para harapin ako. "Stop acting like that, Fara. That's not good," his voice was calm but I knew that he was scolding me.

"Your cousins love her and they hate me. I know it."

"Don't think like that―"

"No! I am sure about it!" Nag-init ang mga mata ko. "T-they are so kind to Demi . . ."

"So, my cousins are the problem here, not Demi?" he clarified.

"I don't know."

"I admit that my cousins aren't nice to everybody, but they are nice to people who appreciate them. Just try to befriend them."

"I am not friendly. You know that I only had . . ." My mood saddened when I thought of Kirby. "One friend."

He heaved a sigh. "That's why you have to overcome that. Learn how to be friendly."

Naiisip ko pa lang ang gusto niyang mangyari, naiiyak na ako. "H-how will I befriend people who don't like me?" Sobs escaped from my mouth as I said those words.

I controlled my emotion and tried my best to stop sobbing. I didn't want to cry just because of my inability to befriend other people. I hoped everybody was like Kirby who understood me and could handle my weird and annoying attitudes. Making friends was one of the hardest things for me to do.

Storm caressed my face, wiping my tears away. "Shh . . . Alright. I understand. But they told me to call you so you have to go there. I'll be on your side."

"But I don't want you near Demi," I said.

"We already talked about that, Fara."

"I don't trust Demi."