Chapter 11 - Throwback

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Demi!"

We paused when her high school friends came: Lilyneth, Elaica and Kumi. They hugged and greeted each other. Nakamasid lang ako sa kanila. Tila nanumbalik ang panahon na magkakaklase pa kami. This group of girls were always together.

Tipid na ngumiti lang ako nang magsitinginan sila sa akin at binati ako, "Hi, Storm!"

I felt uncomfortable because these girls knew that Demi and I were past lovers. They even attended our engagement party.

Demi sat down on her chair again when the event finally started. There was an emcee who were entertaining us. Because they knew that I was an evangelist, they asked me to lead the opening prayer for our event, and I did it. After that, they all decided to eat our lunch first. There were catered food for us.

"Kyline!" I heard someone exclaimed.

I turned my head to that direction, and I saw a familiar woman arrive at the place. It was Kyline, our salutatorian. She was still the simple, smart girl I knew before. She was with a man.

After she entertained our classmates, she approached us. "Storm, Demi," bati niya sa amin ni Demi. They sat at our table.

"It's nice to see you here, Kyline," I replied with a smile and offered my hand to her. She gladly accepted it.

"How are you?" Demi responded to her with a smile. "Who's with you?" she asked.

Kyline smiled and hugged the man. "He's Gerald, my husband," she said.

"Hi," her husband, who was named Gerald, said and also offered his hand to us with a bright smile on his lips. We gladly accepted it.

"How about you, guys? How many children do you have now?"

Demi and I paused in surprise because of Kyline's question and then awkwardly looked at each other. Kyline knew about us because I stopped courting her due to having mutual feelings with Demi. Yes, I tried to court Kyline back then, but her priority was her studies so we just became friends.

I cleared my throat before I replied, "Uh, we're not married nor together."

Kyline's eyes widened. "I t-thought . . ." She didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry. I didn't know," she apologized.

"It's okay. It's a long story," I said.

I glanced at Demi. She just fell silent.

"So, are you single now?" Kyline asked us.

"I am married. I didn't bring my wife here with me because she's taking her examinations today," I replied.

Kyline just nodded.

"I am single," Demi just simply said and managed to smile, though I knew that she was uncomfortable to talk about our status.

"It's good to be single, but I know you'll meet your man someday, Demi. You look so beautiful!" Kyline told her.

"Yeah," Demi just said and slightly smiled.

After we ate our lunch, the program proceeded.

Our last activity was having some fun through games. And they wanted everyone to join. "Bawal ang KJ," they said, so everyone really joined the games.

This time, what they needed to join the game were couples. The objects presented were news papers. Kailangan pagkasyahin ng isang couple ang sarili nila roon. If one needs to carry his partner, he must do it so that they could survive or win the game.

"Storm! Demi! Join the game!" Leo told us. Therefore, the organizers of the game turned their heads to us. They even approached us.

"Wait, we're not couples," I told them.