The Next Morning

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Don't forget that I cannot see myself -- that my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror." ~ Jacques Rigaut

"The irrationality of a thing is not an argument against its existence, rather, a condition of it." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 63

I slowly start to open my eyes...finding JJ and Dr. Hayes looking down at me. Off to the side, I notice Chance and Summer are looking on as well.

In this particular moment, I feel like I've been thrown down a mountain and run over by a train. Everything I have hurts. Pain meds must have worn off. Damn.

I glance down at the cup of water and Chance notices first. He comes over to the side of the bed and asks if I'd like some water and I offer a small nod as a reply. My head is pounding right now and my throat feels like I've been gargling gravel.

I watch as he fills the cup with water and then holds it for me. I lean over...sipping carefully before slowly leaning my head back on the pillow.

Dr. Hayes asks "How are you doing this morning, Emily?"

I glance over at JJ and notice that she has a firm grasp on my semi-casted hand, and Dr. Hayes is glancing up at the monitors as she is waiting for my response. JJ is watching me intently...as if she's waiting for some kind of specific reply.

I finally tell her "Not bad...throat hurts a little though." I lie...I don't want my kids or JJ to know how bad I really feel.

"You probably just overdid it a little yesterday...and your throat will be a little sore for a while. But it should get better in a few days...you just have to give it a little time. You're sure that you're feeling okay otherwise though?" Dr. Hayes asks again.

I just offer a slight nod in response.

"Okay then. Well, if you're up to it, I can take you down to get that temporary cast changed out for a permanent one. We'll just need to do another x-ray to make sure that nothing has changed before we do. Are you ready?"

I nod again.

Dr. Hayes looks over at JJ, Chance, and Summer and says..."We shouldn't be too long. I just need to make sure that nothing has changed before we set her permanent cast. Once that has set and dries...we'll be back up."