Key To My Heart

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Poem in this chapter "Key to My Heart" was written by Amanda Marie.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors." ~ Jim Morrison

"I overthink decisions when I should really trust my heart." ~ Brian Littrell

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 43

I glance over at Chance and notice he's checking his phone again.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Yeah. Tom's here. He's in with Grandma Bella now taking a look at the photos. She thought he might be able to figure out the connections on the photos that the rest of us couldn't. She said that Garcia is working with him too."

"Hopefully he will. I'd like to have all of those questions answered before your mom wakes up." I reply as I look between Chance and Summer.

As I do, I notice Summer looking between the machines and Emily, but avoiding eye contact with me.

"Sweetie...is everything okay?" I ask...directing my question to Summer.

"Yeah...I guess. I just wish she'd wake up or at least move or something...she's too still right now." Summer replies sadly.

"I know sweetie...I do too. But the doctor told us that she could be asleep for a while. She's been through a lot and her body needs some time to get better...stronger." I reply...trying to sound as convincing as possible for her and Chance...and I hope that in the process I'll believe what I'm saying too.

I hear a soft knock on the door and turn in time to see Dr. Hayes enter quietly. She slowly walks in and checks the monitors before stating "everything is still looking good. If she remains stable...she'll hopefully wake up before too long."

I watch as Dr. Hayes notates a few things on Emily's chart before patting my shoulder on her way back out. She quietly adds "let me know if you have any questions or if her condition changes at all. I'll be back to check on her in a little while" as she slowly exits the room.

"She seems really nice...like she really cares about mom" Chance states softly.

"Yeah...I think she does." I reply as I glance back towards the door...noticing that Reid is talking with Dr. Hayes.

I think what's happened to Emily has really bothered Reid...since every time I've looked towards the door or left the room...he seems to be hovering near her door. Especially after he admitted to me a few weeks ago that he considered taking Dilaudid when we were told Emily was dead and now she's hurt again...I'm a little worried about him. I decide to ask her kids if it would be okay to have him come in for a little while.