Picture In My Mind

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Assuming the worst in a person hurts them. Assuming the best in a person disappoints you. Assuming nothing allows you both the ability to see the truth." ~ Doe Zantamata

"As you think, so you become.....Our busy minds are forever jumping to conclusions, manufacturing and interpreting signs that aren't there." ~ Epictetus '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 52

I open my eyes and the bright lights again seem to blind me...so I blink a few times to adjust to the annoyingly intense lights that seem to be penetrating directly into my skull. I realize I must've fallen asleep shortly after Dr. Hayes took me down for the tests she wanted to run...and based on what I can see now...she's not finished yet.

I hear someone... quietly clearing their throat. I think they're behind me based on where the sound is coming from. It's is very soft though...apparently in an effort not to startle me.

"Emily...I see you're awake again. Don't worry...you didn't miss much. Besides...you need your rest anyway."

It's Dr. Hayes. I try and look around but realize that from where I am, I can't really see that much. She's behind me like I originally thought, but I can't actually see her.

I am able to tell...from my unfortunately vast experience that I'm inside of an MRI machine, and I hear her say "try to stay as still as possible. We're almost done here....okay?"

I start to nod in response...but decide against it. Soon...I feel the machine move...pulling me out from my enclosure within the MRI and I see Dr. Hayes staring down at me. She starts to explain what she's doing, while unhooking the various equipment that I'd apparently had attached to me during all of my tests. Once unhooked, she asks if I'm feeling okay.

I nod in response...noticing that my throat is extremely sore and dry again.

At this point...I realize that if I try talking...I'm likely to start coughing uncontrollably. Given how my stomach, ribs, and quite frankly...my entire body feels...I really don't want to take that kind of chance.

Dr. Hayes must've noticed some hesitation in my response, and picked up on at least part of the reason, and asks if I'd like some water.

I offer a slight nod in response.

Sipping the water...slowly this time...to try and prevent myself from choking like I did earlier...I notice the water does help a little...but not as much as it did before.