Nightmares

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...votes and reviews keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they are positive!!!

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Of all the things you choose in life, you don't get to choose what your nightmares are. You don't pick them; they pick you." ~ John Irving

"The shock of any trauma, I think changes your life. It's more acute in the beginning and after a little time you settle back to what you were. However it leaves an indelible mark on your psyche." ~ Alex Lifeson
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 18

I'm momentarily disoriented as I rub my sleepy eyes and try to open them. What just woke me up? It doesn't seem to be my cell phone...unless it stopped ringing. I finally open my eyes to a mostly darkened room and look around for the cause of my disrupted sleep.

I smile as I realize I'm not home, or in yet another random hotel room on a case, but still asleep next to Emily. I turn to look at her and she seems to still be asleep, so whatever woke me must not have been too loud.

I glance over her shoulder and look at the clock...bright red numbers informing me the time is close to 5:00am. I wonder again what could've caused me to wake up as the last remnants of sleep leave me.

Then I remember that Emily woke me several times previously during the night...she had been making noises or struggling...seemingly caught in some kind of a nightmare before...and that seems to be the case again. I hear her whimper softly and see her twitch and realize that was what woke me from my restless sleep.

At some point during the night she turned over, and she's facing me now. I lightly brush the hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear as I place a gentle kiss against her forehead and pull her closer to me...rubbing her arm...whispering to her that she's okay...that she's safe and no one is going to hurt her. She seems to calm down somewhat but she continues to softly whimper.

She pulls me closer to her...with her arms wrapped tightly around my waist. She presses her face right above my chest...her ear right over my heart. Maybe listening to the sound of my heartbeat will lull her back to sleep.

I gently stroke her hair and continue to whisper to her that she's safe and that no one is going to hurt her and she calms down further...only whimpering slightly every so often.

I think back to the earlier nightmares and wonder...was that why she never slept in front of me, on those rare times that we shared a room, when we were away on a case? Was she afraid I'd see her having a nightmare...or does she even realize she has them?

In either case...if she has them very often, it would explain why she seems so tired all of the time. She's had several tonight and she can't be resting very well if she's constantly fighting some unseen monster in her sleep all the time.