Scars Part II

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the votes and reviews. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and feedback keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they are positive!!!

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"I feel bare. I didn't realize I wore my secrets as armor until they were gone and now everyone sees me as I really am." ~ Veronica Roth

"There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds." ~ Laurell K. Hamilton
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 20

"I don't know, JJ." Emily nervously replies.

"Please Em...I trusted you with my scars...please trust me with yours. I won't let you down. I promise." I squeeze her hands to give her extra reassurance before I see her nod slightly.

"Okay...I guess. But don't say I didn't warn you." Emily whispers sadly as she mimics my movements and turns to face away from me. I watch as she slowly removes her shirt and then steps out of her sweats, leaving only her bra and underwear on.

I control the gasp that threatens to escape my lips as I let my eyes roam over her neck, back, and backs of her legs.

She has numerous scars...none of which she could have caused herself. I wonder where they all came from? Some may have come from a surgery of some kind...but others...I shudder to think of what she must've endured to end up with those.

I hear her softly sob as I whisper to her "Oh sweetheart...it's ok...everything is going to be ok...I promise." I slowly graze my fingertips over some of the larger scars and I feel her shiver under my soft touch. I lean in and softly press my lips against some of the larger scars, just as she had done for me, and her sobs slowly subside.

I watch as she slowly turns to face me and I realize that she is using one of her arms in an attempt to cover her where she injured herself as well as right above her heart, while the other is covering a large section of her stomach. I quickly stifle the gasp that again threatens to escape from my lips.

The first thing that I notice is that despite her attempt, I can still make out the bright red bandage on her upper arm. I knew that she didn't injure her arm in the lake...but judging by how it looks...I wonder if she needs stitches for whatever damage she did to herself. I doubt she'll go to the hospital...but she definitely needs to treat whatever damage was done.

The next thing I notice is the sheer number of other scars that dot the part of her body that she's unable to shield from my view. Some of those scars were probably from a surgery or work-related injury...but most were either self-inflicted...or like those on her back...caused by someone else. I hate to think of who may have caused them...or what she went through getting them.

I notice she's looking away from me...afraid to make eye contact with me. I see the tears still quietly streaming down her face, even though the sobbing from moments ago has quieted down. She still thinks I'm going to run away from her.