Twelve Minutes and 48 Seconds

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

Remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"On the unconscious level, touch seems to impart a subliminal sense of caring and connection." ~ Leonard Mlodinow

"One of the things your unconscious mind does for you - and it's a great gift - is it gives you extra courage to view the outer world and it does that by giving you an extra-special view of yourself." ~ Leonard Mlodinow

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 44

I watch closely as Reid stares up at the monitors and back down again at Emily, something he's done repeatedly over the past few minutes.

Finally, I can't help but ask him "Spence? What's wrong?"

"I think she may be waking up. Her heart rate is increasing...so are her respirations...and her pulse is much faster. Her blood pressure and pulse oximetry are better than when I came in earlier too." Reid explains.

"Should we call for Dr. Hayes?" Summer anxiously asks.

"She said she'd be back here in a little bit...I'm sure she'd be fine if we called her to come back now." I add.

"Maybe. She could just be in a heightened dream state...but these are also classic signs of a patient waking up from anesthesia." Reid answers.

Not waiting for any further discussion, Chance presses the call button on Emily's bed and when the nurse comes on the speaker, he requests that Dr. Hayes come in as soon as possible.

Within a few minutes, Dr. Hayes arrives.

"What's going on? Is she awake?" Dr. Hayes asks.

"Not yet...but my friend thinks she's starting to wake up." I explain and start to introduce Dr. Hayes to Reid, but am surprised to find out they've been talking enough for her to realize he is not only a fellow agent, but a doctor too.

"Agent...sorry...Dr. Reid? Why do you think she's waking up?" Dr. Hayes asks.

"She's displaying all of the classic signs. See for yourself." Reid replies as he motions towards the monitors.

"Her vital signs do show signs of improvement. Though those could be indicators of other things, which I'm sure you're well aware of. How long has this improvement been occurring...approximately?" Dr. Hayes asks.

"Twelve minutes and 48 seconds." Reid replies.

"Ooookkkayy...." Dr. Hayes slightly startled reply.

I assume she wasn't expecting such a specific response.

"He's very detail oriented" I explain.