Trying to Remember

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the votes and reviews. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Forgetting stuff is just human, especially when other things are on our minds." ~ Claudia Winkleman

"Time and memory are true artists; they remould reality nearer to the heart's desire." ~ John Dewey

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 45

Dr. Hayes begins by shining a light in my eyes and checking my vital signs before checking what I assume is a machine that was meant to help me breathe.

"I think I can change this over to a nasal cannula for you. That will allow you to continue to get the oxygen that you need, but it will make it much easier for you to talk. However, if you start to have any issues with your breathing, we may need to go back to using this machine for a while.

I watch as she works on the machine for a little while and then unhooks the tube going into my mouth and partially down my throat.

"This may feel a little awkward when I remove it...just try to relax as much as possible and I'll have it out before you know it." I hear her say as she quickly removes the tube.

Awkward wouldn't have been the word I would've chosen...painful and disgusting might be more applicable...but at least it's gone.

I watch as she works with some equipment next to me and then opens a package of tubing. She hooks it up to my nose so that I can now breathe the oxygen in through that way instead of the other tube, which is much better. I hear her push a couple of buttons...I assume to set the oxygen to the correct level before looking back over at me.

She asks if I'd like anything before she starts to ask any questions and I can only get one word out..."water" since my throat feels like a desert oasis.

"I can give you a little bit...but be really careful and just take small sips...okay?"

I nod...and gratefully sip the water she's held out for me. Much better...though my throat still feels horrible.

I cough briefly which somewhat alarms the doctor, but when she asks if I'm okay, I simply nod and take another sip of water. I apparently was asleep too long and either the breathing tube caused some issues with my throat or my system hasn't fully woken up yet.

"If you're sure you're okay. Just please be careful and take slow, easy sips of the water. You've been asleep for a while and your body needs time to readjust itself; especially given the breathing tube you just had removed." Dr. Hayes reminds me.