Calm Before the Storm

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***This chapter is a continuation of the second "part" of the story***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm." ~ Hippocrates

"Most things in life come as a surprise." ~ Lykke Li
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 28

"I'll let you know more as soon as I can, but I really need to get back to Agent Prentiss right now...excuse me."

"Thank you" I nod in response as the doctor turns away from me and Morgan and walks back through the emergency room doors.

Morgan puts his arm around me and guides me back to the small waiting room and sits beside me...his arm still tightly wrapped around me. "She's strong JJ...she'll be okay."

I nod again...but I can't seem to find the words to respond to him. I know he's trying to put on a brave face for me...but I'm sure he's just as worried as I am. I'm still trying to process what the doctor had told me and Morgan when I hear Garcia and Summer arrive.

"What's going on...how's Em?" I hear Garcia say.

I look up to see Garcia and Summer watching both of us carefully. Summer watching my expression in particular. I try to respond but nothing comes out, so Morgan speaks up instead. "They're prepping her for surgery right now..."

Before Morgan has a chance to explain more...Summer speaks up "Surgery! What for?"

Morgan glances over to me as if to find out if answering her is okay and I nod...it's all I'm apparently able to do right now.

He finally looks back up at Garcia and Summer and attempts to relay what the doctor had informed us just moments before. "She has a couple of broken ribs...one of them punctured her lung. They need to take her to the O.R. to repair that."

"Why do I feel like there's more you're not telling me...or us...I guess?" Summer states as she glances over to Garcia.

Morgan calmly replies... "She does have a couple of other injuries...but the doctor said her punctured lung was the one she was most concerned with for right now...and that she would come back after the surgery was over to give us an update."

He left out the rest of what the doctor had mentioned for now...about her possible head injury...her broken wrist...and most troubling for both Morgan and me...her still nearly catatonic state.

"JJ...why haven't you said anything? I know there's more going on than what he said." Summer continued as she glanced between Morgan and me.

I look up at Summer and see determination in her eyes...she wants to know the truth. I've seen that look from Emily before. I instinctively know she won't let this go...so I try again to find some inner strength...at least for her. "Sorry...I'm just worried...that's all. Besides...none of us are that fond of hospitals...especially your...well...Emily."