The Reason Why

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***This chapter is a continuation of the second "part" of the story***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light the candle that can guide us thru that darkness to a safe and sane future." ~ John F. Kennedy

"Sometimes when you're overwhelmed by a situation - when you're in the darkest of darkness - that's when your priorities are reordered." ~ Phoebe Snow
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 29

"Damnit! How the Hell did he find out about him? Oh God! You didn't say anything to anyone about him...did you?" Summer asked...slightly tentative.

"No...it wasn't my place to say anything about him either...but that's what you meant when you said us...wasn't it? You weren't just talking about you and your mom...you were talking about you and Chance...right?"

"That's something that you really need to talk to her about...not me." Summer looked away as she replied.

"Summer...I need to know what's going on. I can't ask your mom right now...and I don't want to bring it up when she first wakes up from surgery...but I do want to help her. Do they not get along or something?"

"It's not that...they get along great...it's just complicated...our whole family is complicated. There's a lot that you don't know, JJ...that all of you don't know. It's not that she didn't want to tell you about it...she just couldn't."

"Was he...or is he...in some kind of danger too?" I ask...hoping that's not the case.

"Not anymore...with Ian and Lucas gone...our family should be safe now." Summer quietly stated.

"Then why do you still seem so sad? Your family is finally safe...that's a good thing, isn't it?" I questioned...not understanding why something that should be good news would bother her.

I understood that she might be having mixed emotions about her father being killed today...but something told me that was not what was bothering her.

"Yeah...it is. It's just really complicated. I just don't know where we all go from here." Summer looked back up at me as if she was trying to decide whether or not to ask me something...

I finally decided to make the decision for her by saying "what did you want to ask me Summer?"

She chuckled softly before replying..."you know...you and mom are both really good at that profiling thing..."before continuing with a more serious tone..."does knowing about me...or Chance...does that change how you see my mom? How you feel about her?"