Parental Failings I

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is briefly mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"In our time political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible." ~ George Orwell

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 49

Dr. Hayes had mentioned that the tests she was going to be running on Emily might take a little while, so I decide that I should probably check in with the team to see if they've found out anything about those pictures while I have a little time.

I make my way back out of Emily's room and I'm somewhat caught off-guard to see Hotch waiting just outside of another hospital room on this side of the small waiting room our team had converged on when Emily had been brought in.

I momentarily panic, thinking something is wrong with Emily, or perhaps one of the other members of my team, but then realize that I was just with Emily and that Dr. Hayes or someone else would've told me if something were wrong. Still, I have to wonder why Hotch is obviously waiting for me...and why he seems to be almost guarding the other room.

I glance in the room just long enough to notice that not only are my team inside, but Chance, Summer, and the rest of Emily's family seem to be there as well.

"JJ...we need to talk."

"What's going on? Did something else happen?" I rush out...my panic starting to rise slightly hearing the fatherly-tone in his voice.

"We were able to find out most of the background on those pictures we found earlier. Those women...they were all connected, at least peripherally...to Emily. We were able to use this room as our temporary command post since none of us felt right about leaving Emily...or you right now."

"I was afraid they might be connected to Emily somehow...but how were you able to talk the hospital into using one of their rooms as a temporary base?" I start to ask.

I then remember Chance's vague threat to the nurse that threatened to make me leave...and realize that he or someone else in Emily's family probably 'helped' obtain the room.

"Never mind...I think I know." I mumble just loud enough for Hotch to hear.

I watch as he nods knowingly.