Not What I Was Expecting - I

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you. This is one of those chapters.

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you. This is one of those chapters.

A/N: This ended up being a much long chapter than I initially planned, so I ended up having to break it up into two sections/parts (to make it a little easier for everyone to read). The second part should be up soon.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Everything we do, every thought we've ever had, is produced by the human brain. But exactly how it operates remains one of the biggest unsolved mysteries, and it seems the more we probe its secrets, the more surprises we find." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

"A story to me means a plot where there is some surprise. Because that is how life is - full of surprises." ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 60

I softly knock on the door before entering Emily's room. I had been trying to mentally prepare for whatever I might find, but what I see is something that I definitely had not been prepared for.

As I slowly walk inside, quietly closing the door behind me, I look up and see Emily struggling to hold her cup. It looks like she's attempting to take a drink of water. She has her tongue out slightly, and moving her head slightly as well as her mouth in a strange way...in what appears to be an odd attempt to steer the cup and straw towards her mouth.

From what I can tell, it looks like she's spilled some of the water and is getting a little frustrated. What catches me more off guard is that if I didn't know better, I'd swear she was drunk.

I slowly make my way over to the side of Emily's bed, softly clearing my throat, and Emily glances over at me, offering a sideways grin, stating "damn straw won't cooperate".

Yep...she's loopy as Hell. I wonder how strong those pain meds were that the doctor gave her?

"Baby..." I offer a smile in return "Here...let me help you with that."

I quickly set down the bag I was holding in the closest chair and my drink on the bedside table and gently place my hands over hers...taking the cup she's struggling with so she doesn't end up spilling the rest of water all over herself. I gently ease it from her hands, holding the straw between my fingers...holding it up for her to drink from.

She slowly sips from it, and as she finishes, she looks up at me "Thanks."

Her eyes are almost completely glazed over, but those emotional walls seem to be down right now. I'm not sure if that is because of the pain meds or if she's let them down on purpose. I'm just happy they're down for the time being.