Parental Failings II

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

***This chapter in particular may be triggering, so please take precautions if necessary***

A/N: Violence towards a primary character is briefly mentioned/discussed in this chapter. Please be forewarned if that is troubling for you.

I just wanted to offer my continued thanks to everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it.

This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if y'all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up soon.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"There are no secrets that time does not reveal." ~ Jean Racine

"A man's true secrets are more secret to himself than they are to others." ~ Paul Valery

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 50

I follow Elizabeth's line of sight...and where she's pointing to in the myriad of pictures, to determine which of the women 'Lauren' was...and I'm shocked to say the least.

In all the chaos surrounding Emily being hurt and everything that came after, I realize I hadn't stopped to look closely at any of the pictures.

But now...for the first time...I really looked at the photos...specifically the one Elizabeth pointed out as 'Lauren'...and nearly gasp. The two of us could have been twins. If I didn't know any better...I'd almost swear it was a picture of me...but because of the background...I knew it wasn't.

"The resemblance is quite remarkable...don't you think?" Alex states...the low timbre of his voice shaking me from my near trance.

I nod and turn to look at my team...all of whom are all nodding slightly in agreement.

Everyone...especially Emily...had to have noticed the resemblance between the two of us at some point. Why didn't anyone mention this to me sooner? Why would Emily choose the name of someone that looked exactly like me when she went undercover... years before we ever met? I'm missing something...and it feels like it's something important.

I finally shake my head clear of my rambling thoughts and the shock of seeing my 'twin' on the murder board and refocus on the conversation...but at this point...the questions are beginning to outweigh the answers.

"Did Emily know that Lucas killed Lauren?" I ask...hesitantly.

"No...quite the opposite in fact. We didn't even realize that the two knew each other until today. We were told by a friend of her parents that she killed herself upon returning to the States. Apparently...that had been a lie."

"Why would someone lie to you about something like that?" I ask...unable to contain my shock, disgust, and anger upon hearing this.

Given my own past...my sister's death and the pain that still causes...I can't imagine how someone would be so cruel as to make something like that up.