Helping Emily

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Nobody can predict the future. You just have to give your all to the relationship you're in and do your best to take care of your partner, communicate and give them every last drop of love you have. I think one of the most important things in a relationship is caring for your significant other through good times and bad." ~ Nick Cannon

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." ~ Maya Angelou
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 22

Looking back at my reflection in the mirror, I think back to the conversation I just had with Emily in the kitchen, and I'm so relieved that our conversation from earlier went as well as it did. I was so worried that she would shut me out completely, maybe try and lie about her self-injury, or somehow turn the conversation around on me and start asking me about my scars instead. I'm grateful that none of that happened, especially the last one. I know I'll need to talk to her, about the other stuff I've been keeping from her...about what happened when I thought she was dead, but right now all of my focus is on helping her.

The fact that she let some of her walls down...let me in...even a little bit...is amazing and I'm so grateful. I thought that I'd completely blown it and that she'd never trust me, or give me another chance to prove to her that I wouldn't run away again. I needed to show her that I did love her then, and that I still do now...more than anything. I just pray that she believes me. I'll keep doing whatever I have to do to prove to her that I mean it...even if it takes forever. I thought I lost her once and now I have a second chance...I'm not going to take that for granted.

As I finish fixing my hair, I notice a smile playing across my lips as I think about how normal it felt to wake up with her and talk about mundane things in the kitchen this morning. Feeling her arms wrap around me...our flirtatious conversation...hearing her laugh...all of which has been missing from our interactions lately.

I realized how much I've missed her...and how stupid I was to not fight for her so long ago...how much of a coward I was...and how much I have to fight for right now. I know...without a doubt I can't live without her. I need her too much...even something as mundane as arguing over a shopping list brings a silly smile to my face.

I laugh internally as I walk out of the bathroom, realizing how ridiculous I must've looked...with my hair in such a state. I've never forgotten to fix my hair like that before. Then again...I tend to get flustered or so completely engaged in my thoughts of Emily that I tend to forget what I'm doing...or should be doing whenever I'm around her or my thoughts turn to her. She has that much of an effect on me. She leaves me unnerved...breathless...speechless....amazed...and sometimes forgetful; all at the same time.