Caught in a Lie

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and feedback keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"I guess what scares me the most now is the thought that I won't be able to protect you" ~ Julia Hoban

"With wisdom comes the rare ability to tell whether or not trying to change someone's mind would be a waste of time." ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 37

Looking briefly up at all of the machines around the room, I note that all of the vital signs appear to be within what the nurses and doctor have informed me are acceptable ranges and the IV fluids do not appear to be running low, so I return my gaze back to where it has been for the past hour or so.

For the most part, everything has been fairly calm, with one exception. A nurse attempted to ask me, Summer, and Chance to leave so that Emily could rest. I informed her quite briskly that I would not be leaving, nor would Emily's children, and when she started to walk closer to me, I was somewhat shocked to see Chance rise from his place next to Emily and stand behind me. He quickly informed the nurse that none of us would be leaving the room and that his mother would rest much better with all of remaining by her side.

The nurse attempted once more to advise Chance of the rules for visitors in the ICU and that exceptions had already been made to let us stay as long as we had. Chance then quietly, but firmly, advised the nurse that while he appreciated her strict adherence to the rules and the previous exceptions the hospital had already made, our staying was non-negotiable.

He then advised the nurse that his family was well connected with several members of the hospital board and that if necessary, he would contact them to ensure his mother was receiving the best care possible, including changing whatever staff was taking care of his mother, including her if that was required. In addition, he would ensure that Emily and Summer remained safe, including around the clock supervision from specially trained FBI agents such as the one sitting next to his mother right now and all of those sitting right outside of the room as well.

The nurse got the message and quickly left...and I haven't seen her since. There have been other nurses that have come and gone periodically to check on Emily's vital signs, IV fluids, and overall status, but I doubt that nurse will ever come back to this room again. I asked one of other nurses what the normal vital signs should be so I would know what to look for in case something was off, and since then, I've looked up at the various machines once in a while to make sure that everything was still looking ok.

Chance simply returned to his seat on the other side of the bed, sitting next to Summer, with his hand resting on Emily's casted arm, keeping the same vigilant watch that I've been doing...monitoring Emily and watching the various machines for any changes. Summer has spent her time just focused on Emily...as if she's trying to reach inside her mind and read her thoughts...or trying to send her some kind of message.