Confronting the Truth

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Every doorway, every intersection has a story." ~ Katherine Dunn

"Time, which changes people, does not alter the image we have retained of them." ~ Marcel Proust

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 33

As I sit there...just remembering that horrible night...I turn the page expecting to find more, only to realize I've reached the end of that file, but there was no map inside...only painful memories. I shake my head...trying to clear my mind of the feelings from that night just as Matthew takes my hand and gently squeezes it.

I hear him say "I remember that night. My parents were away on a business trip and I had to go with them. You were worried that your parents were trying to set you up with one of the boys your mother's friend worked with. You had hoped I would be there...or at least John would...to try and save you from being set up with that guy. I know John wasn't able to go either. You never mentioned whether your mother tried to set you up with him or not. The only thing I do remember was that you called me the next day all freaked out. At first I thought it was about the guy you were worried about...until you told me about what you overheard your parents arguing about. But, you never mentioned Lauren being there though. Did she stay with you after that happened?"

Still caught halfway between the memory and the conversation with Matthew, I had completely forgotten about the guy my parents had tried to set me up with that night. I nearly gasp as I remember who it was. That was the night I met Lucas for the first time. No wonder this was the first file I picked up. I had completely forgotten about that. I basically ignored him because I knew I would be seeing Lauren later and didn't give it much thought afterward. I ran into him a few times after that...but he always seemed nice...polite.

It wasn't until a few years later...when I was back in the States that I actually met up with him again at College. By that time...so much had happened and it was just nice to be able to connect with someone familiar that I ended up talking to him at a party. I just wanted to be friends...but...things just got out of hand. I wonder now though if he remembered that night differently. I vaguely remember seeing Lauren's picture when I was fighting with Lucas...before I ended up trapped in my head. Did Lucas do something to her? If so...he must've seen her right after that party...but why do something to her? I feel like I'm missing some piece of the puzzle. Probably in one of these damn files somewhere.

I feel Matthew squeeze my hand again..."Em...seems like you're starting to put some of the pieces together. Maybe reading some more of those files will help you sort out more of what you're missing. But before you do, I want you to fill me in on what else happened after we talked. After you told me what happened that night...that your parents fought...you just said that you'd find a way to figure out what your parents were hiding. How did you plan on doing that...or did you even have a plan?" Matthew asked.