Driven to Distraction

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I hope you enjoy the story...and please review...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third." ~ Pete Rose

"People need to be made more aware of the need to work at learning how to live because life is so quick and sometimes it goes away too quickly." ~ Andy Warhol
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 13

"Can't run off in the middle of the night if you don't have your own car." Emily quietly mutters.

Ouch. Guess I should've seen that one coming. I knew I hurt her by running off like I did before...I'll just have to work that much harder to prove to her that I'm not going to do that again.

"Uhh...sorry...I guess you can just follow me" she says a little louder.

"No...it's fine..." I reply. "I...uh..."

The sound of Emily's stomach growling loudly interrupts our conversation.

"Emily...when's the last time you ate something?" I inquire.

"Uhhh...I...ummm...ohh....yeah, I grabbed a bagel with my coffee this morning on the way to the station." Emily responds.

"EMILY! That wasn't today...that was yesterday. I walked out right behind you on the way to the station yesterday and today. You seemed like you were in a hurry this morning and never even stopped for coffee until we got to the station, remember? Have you eaten anything else since the bagel yesterday?" my concerned reply.

"Well...we've been kinda busy with the case. It's fine." Emily replies dismissively.

"No wonder you look so pale. You have to eat more than that. Between only eating a bagel yesterday and however you injured your arm, I'm surprised you haven't passed out by now." I reply.

I thought she looked like she'd lost some weight...which she really didn't need to lose. God...Rosalyn and I both had a problem with that...though my problems didn't happen until Rosalyn was gone. With Ros...we didn't realize she had a problem until she passed out at school. I was able to hide my issues a lot better...probably since I learned from her mistakes. Plus, I was away from home and I was older when my problems started. But, I know the damage it can cause if you don't get a handle on it.

I just hope this is just a one-time thing with Emily, like she said, and she just got too focused on the case. Not that I have much room to talk when it comes to this particular issue...but I do have control over it now, so it's fine. It's just that it makes it easier for me to recognize in other people now. Plus, I understand some of the reasons behind it too.

Why is it that every time I turn around Emily is reminding me of my sister...and not in a good way? The thought of something happening to Emily, the way it did with Ros, terrifies me. Especially given how she's been acting and with what she said happened with her arm...it just makes me wonder what's really going on with her. It's like she's slowly or even purposely trying to...No...no...I'm not going to think like that...or let that happen.