My Father's "Business Trips"

A/N: Please note that other triggering content (self-harm and suicide will be discussed) throughout the story. Please be forewarned and take precautions if these are troubling for you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and votes. My muse and I both appreciate it. This is still, as of now, planned to be a fairly long, multi-part story, but if you all aren't into it...I'll wrap it up before too long.

And remember...reviews and votes keep me and my muse motivated...especially if they're positive!!!

***More drama and more secrets revealed***

I hope you enjoy this latest chapter...Now on with the show!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Divorce is not the end of the world. It's worse to stay in an unhealthy marriage. That's a worse example for the children." ~ Jerry Hall

"Love is moral even without legal marriage, but marriage is immoral without love." ~ Ellen Key
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 34

"Come on in Emily...have a seat." My father quietly states as he points towards the couch in the living room.

I slowly make my way to the couch...taking in my surroundings as I do. This house...unlike mine...has a homey...lived in feel to it. A place that almost anyone would feel comfortable in. Anyone that stepped through that door probably did feel completely at home here. Anyone that is...except for me I suppose. And maybe I would've too...under different circumstances. But at this moment... I just felt so out of place. This was my father's home...but I felt like a complete stranger here.

I wonder...was the warm, inviting feeling this home had because of Isabella...or was there another side to my father that I had just never seen? I suddenly realized as much as they were both trying to make me feel welcomed...I just felt like I didn't belong there. It really was such a strange feeling...seeing my father in this whole other life...in a different home...looking almost sad to see me. I had a feeling that whatever it was that he wanted to talk to me about was something serious. That feeling only got stronger as he came in and sat down across from and started to speak.

"Emily...sweetheart. There are some things I need to tell you...but you cannot tell anyone what I'm about to share with you."

My confusion only grew more intense with this comment. I assumed that my mother already knew he was involved with Isabella...and that was why she was fired. What else could he possibly tell me that I would need to keep a secret...and who would I need to keep it a secret from. "What's going on? I thought mother already knew about you and Isabella. Isn't that why she fired her? What else is there? And what secrets are you talking about me keeping? I don't understand." I fire off my responses in rapid succession.

"I understand how confusing this must be for you sweetheart. If you'll give me the chance to explain, I think you'll understand everything...please." My father quietly replies.

I simply nod in response.

However, before my father can explain any further...I hear a sound that catches me completely off guard. At first...I don't recognize it. Then...when I do...I'm shocked into silence once again.

I hear Isabella quietly state "Sorry about that...I'll take care of everything. You two keep talking and I'll be right back."

I watch as Isabella rushes up the stairs and disappears out of sight. I finally look over at my father and ask "was that a baby crying?"