ch- 1

DEV

Dev get your  lazy ass off the bed and get ready ,you will be late  .... Radha mami said for the hundredth time.

Mami sona do na, abhi to suraj bhe nahi utha (let me sleep, even the sun has not raised yet)

Devvvvv do you want to take a hot water bath or cold one.

Hot one mami it's too cold outside .

Should I  put some roses petals in them too... she said but this time her voice was a bit louder as if she was in my room.
Still I answer in my sleeping state, yesssss.

Should I put some honey too and maybe a jar of milk in it.

Yesssssss definitely mami and please make some paratha you know na I love to eat the.. aaaaaa ooohhhhhh cold coldcoldcoldcold.... I opened my eyes to the chilling sensation on my body only to realise that my Radha mami has poured a bucket of water on me and over here you don't need to mix ice with water to make it cold.
In this place water is as cold as ice itself.

Mami why did you waked me up so early, I was finally getting the scholarship..... oo shit they will announce the winner of the scholarship today  ,i said  swinging my legs off the bed.

You should have waked me up earlier today mami ......

I know but you have to remember that you don't have a bike or a car like the rich people's do . Life is hard and this scholarship is the only thing that can help you out of this situation...mami said .

For the last two years I have been trying to get the scholarship which our college has  been providing to only one student who comes first in an exam held by our college but the one who is actually going to provide us with the money is Anil Bose a very powerful businessman who lives abroad.

I rushed out of my room to get ready

But on my way to washroom I found my mama standing in front of me.
And in my mind I was thinking that what does he wants now.

Dev why are you so late, you know that if this time you don't get the scholarship then your future is wasted...he said in his rude manner.

I was just getting ready and don't worry about my future cause I can handle it myself.

HaH.. aHa......... you think that you can handle your own future, but let me tell you something, you live under my roof and eat the food I give you and if I  wish I can take it away too so behave yourself... he said.

I don't know what in world I have done to him that he dislikes me so much.

Whatever, I thought in my mind and went away.

After getting ready I rushed out and reached my bicycle and seated myself ready to go...Devvvv stop son eat curd and sugar, my mami said and came near me and gave me a spoonful of it. I wish that this time you get the scholarship my boy.

I will ,I promise . My Radha mami is a different person and a very kind one.
She is the only mother figure known to me from childhood .

I smiled at her and fled away.

I reached my college in no time cause all this year's this cycle is the only thing that has been with me .

I never had any true  friends in my lifetime , everyone who came to me needed my help because I was quite a good student.

Dev where have you been , the gate men of our college said.
You are late ,go inside the assembly room and I wish you get what you want... he said with a smile on his face.

I nodded at him and went inside the assembly room and as every year there was a huge crowd waiting for the announcement.

AND THIS YEAR WE HAVE OUR HONORABLE GUEST MR. ANIL BOSE WHO IS GOING TO HANDOVER THE MEMENTO AND THE CERTIFICATE TO THAT ONE STUDENT WHO WON THE SCHOLARSHIP THIS YEAR.
Wait , he came all the way from abroad to India in this small city of UP to give a scholarship, I thought.

But at this moment my heart was beating so hard in my chest as if it wants to escape from my body and go away and hide somewhere.
From where I stood I could see that our principal handed over an envelope to mr. Anil Bose.

AND THE WINNER OF THE SCHOLARSHIP IS DEV DIXIT ..TTTTTTTT.

Whattttt I won.

I stood there frozen, as if all my body parts were paralyzed.
Did I heard right, did he took my name.

Dev, Dev wake up you idiot, are you ever listening Dev get up on that stage and take you scholarship.
And when I got back to my senses my classmates was shaking me vigorously .

I moved my legs towards the stage and climbed those stairs.
The person standing there was smiling at me and when I got to him ,he shakes my hand and handed over  the thing I wanted the most.

I could feel my wet cheeks and the smile on my face but most importantly my dream which is going to come true.

I pushed my glasses over my nose and turned towards the crowd and held the memento over my head.

Now I will go to Delhi and after a year I will be in America.