More than that

The rain-soaked your hair. It soaked your clothes. It bit at your skin and made you shiver. But you couldn't feel any of it. You knew if you remained outside you'd get sick but you didn't care. You were hot with anger and overwhelmed with humiliation. You thought he cared.

Your heels clicked against the concrete as you walked away from the bar, arms tucked closely against you. You couldn't tell if there were more tears or rain on your cheeks.

"Y/N!" Tom yelled behind you. "Y/N come back!"

Squeezing your eyes shut, you continued to walk, praying for him to just leave.

"Y/N please,"

Your legs froze. You tried to hold in a sob but your body couldn't help but shake.

"What's wrong?"

***

"Wanna go out with me tonight?" Tom looked at you eagerly. "There's a bar a few blocks away that I think you'd really like."

You smiled as your heart fluttered. Your admiration for Tom had grown over the past year and you could hardly contain your joy when he asked you to go out for drinks. You tried not to get your hopes up, but you felt like he was starting to have the same feelings for you.

Smiling, you nodded your head.

"I'd love to Tommy."

***

You turned around, your hair now drenched and plastered against your skin. Tom stood a few feet away, his dress shirt becoming almost see through the longer he stood. He barely flinched as rain dripped down his face, instead just staring at you with a concerned look.

He couldn't bear seeing you in pain, and he felt like he had been punched in the chest when you turned around and met him with red tear-stained eyes.

"Did something happen back there?" He asked, as if almost nervous to hear the answer.

He has no idea.

You bite your lip, breathing deeply as you looked at the ground.

"I need to go home," You say quietly.

Tom stood silent for a moment before taking a step towards you, reaching out his hand.

"Well here, let me drive you,"

"No," You step back.

Tom's arm stiffens, his face full of hurt.

"Y/N please tell me what's wrong."

***

The music was loud, your dress was flattering, Tom was smiling and had his hand on the small of your back as you entered the bar. Everything was wonderful. You both sat at a small table near the edge of the bar and started a small conversation. He ordered two drinks, then another two. It didn't take long for hours to slip by. You had laughed and smiled more that evening than in the past week.

"So, tell me about your life Tom," You say, taking a sip of your drink.

"Isn't that what we've been doing?" Tom laughs.

"No, I mean tell me about your life, like what you've been thinking lately. What's been getting you out of bed lately?" You grin.

"Well," He sighs, clasping his hands, "I suppose I've been thinking of asking this one girl out."

Your smile falters, but luckily it was hidden behind the rim of your glass. You had hoped -though- that's what he had done today. But maybe you misread the situation. You had been friends for years. Maybe he only meant this as a friend thing.