New encounters

Tom doesn't know what drove him not to go to work today. He wasn't the type. He had a plan and he stuck to it. He had a routine. Work then, after, maybe get a beer with his friends, but most of the time he went back home. It's not that he was shy or awkward or didn't have friends—he had great friends, plus he was really close with his brothers. But, he liked the stability and he wasn't too keen on surprises. Which is why it surprised him when he purposefully missed his train and caught a bus instead. In fact, he hadn't just purposefully missed the train, he speed-walked right past it and booked it down the street, then three blocks away to the bus station.

He was out of breath and sweating, despite the cold weather. His beanie was mounted tightly on top of his head and his coat was zipped up over his button-up, his hands sporting a festive green and red patterned pair of gloves. The bus was empty, save for an older woman, a guy passed out in the back and a girl with washed-out blue hair. A group of people he'd never associate with. But, the younger girl seemed less threatening, so he sat closer to her.

He gave her a tight lipped smile when he saw her perk up in her seat, the trace of a smile beaming at him. He sat down, holding his bag close to his chest. He wasn't sure where the fuck this bus was going or where he'd finally decide to get off, but for once he didn't care. He didn't care where he would end up, or if the bus ever stopped to let him off.

He took out his headphones, placing one in his ear. He glanced around the bus again as a Foster the People song flowed through the small earbud, his eyes landing on the girl with the blue hair that sat a few seats across from him. He smiled again, this time a little friendlier when they made eye contact. He looked down on his phone, pulling up his kindle app and trying his best to focus on the book he had started reading a week ago. But, for some reason, he snuck another glance at the girl across from him. She was shuffling through her bag, and it was the first time his attention left her hair and moved onto her eye-catching orange sweater.

She was cute. She was wearing worn out gloves that matched her hair and jeans even more washed out than her hair. She looked comfortable. Then he started to wonder what it'd feel like to sit next to her, feel her warmth radiate off of her and maybe even what it'd feel like to hold her hand. And then he realized how fucking creepy that was. Tom had this thing—this problem. He seemed to fall in love with any girl that gave him the time of day and then proceeded to plan out their non-existent relationship. Even with people that weren't usually his type.

"Hi."

Tom blinked at the sound of the voice, realizing he was making eye-contact with the girl he'd just been fantasizing about. "What?" He asked, clearing his throat. He reached into his ear, taking out his single earbud. He watched her hand move in the motion of an awkward wave.

"I was just saying hi," she said, pursing her lips together. He had been staring at her so much, she figured he wanted to talk to someone his age on this god forsaken bus.

"Oh, sorry," Tom said, shaking his head. "Hi." Her accent didn't match his. She was American.

"Mind if I sit closer?" She asked, already picking her stuff up and walking the few paces to sit in the seat directly in front of Tom. "Where you going?"

"London Bridge," he said, his voice coming out strong, and he hoped he looked the way his voice sounded.

"No way, me too!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, what are the chances?" She asked, not really asking him, but more talking to herself than anything. "Hey, do I know you?" She asked, sitting on her knees, facing Tom. Tom thought about it, taking in her faces now that she was closer. "You look familiar."