Volume 3 Chapter 1

3rd Person POV
Opening cuts over with a view of the sun setting over the tall grass and autumn trees. Onyx is shown sitting at the edge of the Beacon cliff with his eyes closed. He takes a deep breath before sighing really loud. He then opens his eyes and reaches his hand out to the sun before the screen turns white.

(flashback)

A 9 year old Onyx is shown sitting down on the ground, panting and sweating as (F/N) approaches him.

(F/N): Great training son.

Onyx: (pant) Thanks.

(F/N): At the rate you're going. You should be able to defend yourself soon.

Onyx then looks down with a sad face as (F/N) notices.

(F/N): What's wrong kiddo?

Onyx: It's just... when I'm able to take care of myself and defend myself. Maybe even have a family. Will you and Mom still be there with me?

(F/N) stays silent for a second before sitting down next to him.

(F/N): Son... I will always be with you. Your mom will always be with you.

Onyx: I know... but what happens if you die?

(F/N) pats Onyx in the head.

(F/N): Son... Your mother and I will be with you.

(F/N) then points his finger at Onyx' heart.

(F/N): We will always be with you. Whether we're dead or not. Because we will always love you.

(end of flashback)

The scene changes back to the Beacon cliff with Onyx still sitting at the edge of the cliff with his hand still reaching out to the sun. He then lifts his hand down and places it at his heart. After a few seconds, he gets up and stares into the distance.

Onyx: Mom, Dad, Jess... I know you're watching me from above. Mom, Dad, I-I hope that you're proud of me. The person I've become. Jess... I really miss you. I really miss playing hide and seek with you. I miss all those times you were bothering me. Despite me being constantly being annoyed by that. Looking back on it, I've learnt to cherish small memories like that. Because as mom said when we we're young. "You never know how much something means to you, until you lose it." 

Tears start to fall out of Onyx' eyes.

Onyx: I....I really miss you all. I wish you were all with me. 

Onyx turns around and walks away.

(scene change)

The scene cuts over to Ruby Rose standing over a tombstone bearing the name "Summer Rose".

Ruby: Hey, mom.

Ruby stays silent for a second or two.

Ruby: Sorry I haven't come by in a while. Things have been... well, things have been, pretty busy. Oh, Dad's here, too! He's, uh, you know... Dad. (shrugs) He's still teaching at Signal. But he told that he's going to be on some mission soon. I think he misses adventuring with you. I miss you too. (pause) Haven't gotten kicked out of Beacon yet! So that's cool. I think being on a team with Yang helps. Keep her in line... That was a joke. She's actually a really great fighter! You can tell she's learned a lot from Dad! Oh, so are Weiss and Blake. Oh! They're my teammates! Together, we form Team RWBY! And yes, before you ask, that does cause a lot of confusion. Anyways, I made a bunch of new friends, and then I met some... let's just say, uh some bad guys too! I guess it's like they say: "like mother, like daughter'! I still wonder why Ozpin let me into the school early. But uh, I guess he'll tell me one day. You know how he is. It's funny, the more I get to know him, the more he's starting to sound like Uncle Qrow.