Volume 2 Chapter 4

3rd Person POV

Ruby: Penny, I-I don't understand

Penny: Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura. I'm not... real,

Ruby takes Penny's hands in her own.

Ruby: Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than us.

Onyx: (places his hand into her shoulder) Penny... to me you're more than just a bunch of metal placed together.

Penny: I don't... um... (leans close to both of their faces) You're taking this extraordinarily well.

Onyx: Well you're talking to a guy that's practically lived alone for about 2-3 years.

Ruby: And you're not like those things we saw back there.

Ruby taps her chest.

Ruby: You've got a heart, and a soul. I can feel it.

Penny: Ooohh... you guys (grabs Ruby and Onyx into a hug and shakes them back and forth) You're the best friend anyone could have!

Onyx: (muffle) My back...

Ruby: (muffle) I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!

Penny releases the two of them

Penny: Oh, he's very weet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!

Ruby: Wow. (giggles) He built you all by himself?

Penny: Well, almost! He had some help from Mr. Ironwood.

Onyx and Ruby: The General!

Ruby: Wait... Is that why those soldiers were after you?

Penny: They like to protect me, too!

Onyx: They should know that you can protect yourself.

Penny: They're not sure if I'm ready yet... One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the tournament.

Ruby: Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace!

Onyx crosses his arms and looks down, while remembering about Salem.

Soldier 1: Check down here!

Penny: (gasps) You guys have to hide.

Ruby: Wait! You don't have to go with them! I can help you!

Penny: It's okay guys. They're not bad people; I just don't want to get you in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone my secret okay?

Penny stares at them intensely

Ruby and Onyx: I promise

Penny: Okay, I'll place you guys in the trash bin.

Onyx: It's okay Penny I got this.

Penny: Huh?

Onyx lifts Ruby off the ground and carries her bridal style.

Ruby: (blushing) Eh!