46-

//Promises don't last forever, but forever can't exist without promises//

The rest of the day went rather smoothly, Andrew left you alone, with you only catching him looking at you once, and there were just enough customers to keep things interesting. Mary got pissed at Andrew for breaking a flower pot and boy, it was nice to see his cheeks flaming red with embarrassment for once in his life. As the day went on you found yourself thinking more and more about flying to LA. It was going to be the first time going back to the US since you moved to England, it was going to the first time since your sheltered world came crumbling down.

Your mum was on the phone, pacing around the kitchen. Her eyes brimmed with tears and her thumbnail ragged from her biting it. You sat on the floor of the living room, doll in one hand watching. You didn't know what happened but, even at four years old you could tell something was wrong.

"Mommy, whas wrong?" You asked, using the coffee table to help you stand up. Your pigtails bounced as you walked to her side, a curious expression painted over your soft features. She looked down at you as a tear slipped down her cheek, landing on the floor between your feet.

"Mommy, is on the phone with important people right now baby, okay?" You nodded, your eyes big as you watched her clutch the counter tightly, her knuckles turning white. Something was wrong, really wrong.

You sat on the wood floor by the dining table and watched her again, she was speaking fast as single tears traced their way down her cheeks, you thought the trails looked like rivers, and you wondered what it would be like to wade in them. You mom hung up the phone and fell to her knee's sobs wracking her body, her face fell into her hands as her cries echoed through the small home. You didn't know what to do, seeing your mom sad made you sad, but you didn't know if it was okay if you hugged her. Lucy broke her crayon at preschool yesterday and she cried. You tried to give her a hug but got elbowed in the stomach. Lucy wasn't very nice.

"Mommy?" You asked timidly, scooting closer to her.

"Yes, baby?" She said picking her head up from her hands, she looked at you as she wiped her tears, but there was still an enormous amount of sadness in her eyes.

"When's daddy coming home? He promised he'd watch Elmo with me." You asked sincerely.

"Baby come here." Your mom said opening her arms, a pendant hung from a silver chain glistened in the light. You scooted over until you were embraced in your mother's arms, her breathing felt ragged and her shirt was wet from tears. "Daddy-daddy isn't c-coming home." She choked out as more tears fell down her cheeks, this time landing on the top of your head.

"wha?" You questioned, not understanding what she had said.

"Daddy-he's with Nanni and Uncle Harry and the angels."

"When are they coming home?"

"Y/n, baby/ they aren't."

You sat there in your mother's arms, confused. What did she mean that daddy wasn't coming home, he always came home when the first number on the clock was 5?

You shuddered at the sudden memory, it had been weeks since you last had them and this one shook you up more than usual.

"Y/n!" Mary shouted, you turned around and saw her standing in the entrance of the kitchen, her hand on her hips. "'Bout time you turned 'round. I've been calling your name for five minutes now. You can go home, I can close up tonight."

"Thank you." You nodded and walked to the back to hang up your apron. The memory of your father's death still at the forefront of your mind.

As you walked back to your flat, you found yourself tiring to come up with a good excuse to not go back to the US, struggling to make something up that Tom, and more importantly Haz would believe. It was as if the universe told Harrison, right then and there, that he needed to call you and convince you it would all be worth it. You picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey y/n! Did crazy Mary give you the time off?" He asked excitedly.

"Uh, about that." You started.

"She said no, didn't she?" Haz said, even thousands of miles away you could see his face fall.

"I don't know if I can do it, with my dad and all. My mum moved us out here so we wouldn't be reminded of him every day, I just don't know if I can go back."

I promise, I will do everything to get to you.

Lie? 

a/n: I am sorry that it is taking me so long to update (again). I have been really busy with school and life is being a bitch but I hope to still be able to update at least twice a week(so please bear with me) also as a heads up I think that this story is coming to an end, but I have another idea that I really like lined up and I will hopefully start posting that here mid to late March.

thank you all for reading!

-nicole