21-

//Promises don't last forever, but forever can't exist without promises//

"Wait!" Harrison called just before the door shut behind me, "You might need these, just don't wreck the car." Haz said before throwing his keys at me. I caught them in my chest and juggled them between my hands before I managed to get a firm grasp on the cold metal keys.

Maia and I have been dating for five months now, Harrison practically played matchmaker and sent both of us on a fool's errand, intending we would run into each other looking for the same product that didn't exist. I sighed, I remember thinking that Maia could be the girl who could fix my broken heart, she did, for a while at least. Maia had managed to patch my bleeding heart, and the patches held until I saw her again. I remember thinking the girl running past, long ponytail of y/h/c whipping around looked somewhat like y/n. If only she had said something; if she had said anything, anything at all I would have known it was definitely her, I would have run after her, hoping for a chance to talk. If I had known she was going to the clearing I would have gone too, I would have noticed Aaron watching her, I would have seen him take her and I would have stopped him.

I pulled into the driveway of my childhood home, the gravel crunching lightly under the tires of my car. The rest of my family was out doing something, I think they went to a carnival somewhere outside of town. Mum had said she left the side door open for Maia. I pulled the door open and the hinges groaned in protest.

"Where the hell have you been Tom?" Maia demanded before I could even get two feet inside the door.

"Uh-" I started looking down at my shoes, trying to craft the perfect sentence.

"Uh? Yea that sounds like a great place. Harrison said the two of you were hanging out for a bit and catching up, but that clearly isn't the case is it?" Maia was mad, I could see the veins in her forehead popping up.

"I was with Harrison."

"You're lying."

"The fact that I was with Harrison isn't a lie, love." Me hanging out with Harrison wasn't the thing she was mad at, she was mad about the fact there was someone hanging with us too.

"Well I went to his flat to surprise you and all because you know, it's been almost a month since we've seen each other, but you weren't there. Are you cheating on me?" She said taking another step closer.

"What- No." I said taking a step back. I wasn't cheating on her, maybe a little bit I think, at this point I'm really not sure about anything in my life anymore. I didn't know what is going on with my emotions; one second I was in love with Maia and the next I was falling for y/n again. Is this what PMSing feels like? I thought causing a small chuckle to fall out of my lips.

"What about this is funny! A week ago you told me you were excited to be able to see me again, then I get here and this is what I get?"

"Mai- look it's not what you think." I choked out.

"Uh really, if you really knew me well that what do I think." She said shifting her weight to her right, and placing her well-manicured hands firmly on her hips.

"You think that I'm cheating on you and I got Haz to cover for me. I'm not M, I promise"

"Uh hun, okay so if you aren't cheating on me than your explanation better be a damn good one."

"I-I was at the hospital." I said hoping it would satisfy her. But it didn't.

"For what?" She demanded.

"My friend."

"Which friend?" She pried searching my eyes.

"An old friend." I figured as little information I could give to her the better it would be.

"Does this 'old friend' have a name?"

"Uh-y-yes," I started trying to decide if it was better to make up a name or just tell her. Maia knew about my relationship with y/n and she would be absolutely pissed if I was around her again.

Maia leaned forwards towards me as if to send me the message of 'I'm waiting'

"Y/n." Maia's face went from anger to surprise to disbelief and back to anger but dialed up to 100. She threw her hands up in the air and let them come back and slap her thighs.

"If you want to stay in this relationship you better be prepared to put in a hell of a lot of work." Maia said as she stormed off smoke billowing out of her ears.

But do I really want to put in the work?

I promise, I will always fight for you.

?