14-

//Promises don't last forever, but forever can't exist without promises//

"Mum, what did Tom do to hurt me?" You asked very confused about the whole situation.

"You guys never really told us what happened, I think it would be best if Tom was the one to explain everything to you." Your mum said as she opened the glass door. Tom walked in clasping and unclasping his hands in a nervous fashion. Something about that repetitive behavior seemed familiar.

"Hey," Tom said sitting down in a chair by your side.

"Hey." Neither of you knew how to start the conversation, you just were two strangers sitting awfully close. Tom ran a hand through his curly mop of brown hair.

"Do you remember anything?"

"Not really, just fuzzy faces or places."

"Like what?"

"Uh, a tree house I think, at least some big thing in a tree."

"I have a tree house, we used to hang out there all of the time." Tom said as a faint smile played across his pink lips.

You smiled, maybe I do remember things. "And do what?"

"Well one day we were playing hide and seek with my younger brothers, Harry and Sam, and you climbed up above the tree house. You were smart like that. I followed you up the tree, but you were faster than me and managed to swing into the tree house. I had run out of ideas and followed you practically landing right on top of you." You both smiled as he told the story, "I haven't even gotten to the best part yet! Either Harry or Sam were sent to find us, we climbed out a window and back up the tree, they didn't find us and we climbed down the ladder making the other one angry, we laughed for hours at their expenses, Sunshine, their faces were priceless." A gentle smile grew as he told the story, you took in everything he was saying, it all sounded somewhat familiar.

"Call me crazy, but that story sounds sort of familiar." You said looking at his deep brown eyes as they lit up. The nickname Sunshine did too but you didn't tell him that; Sunshine, I remember you calling me that, you thought.

"I'm glad it does crazy, because I could never forget that day." He looked at you and laughed, god, that laugh and that damned smile he could make your worst day turn into the best day with one smile. You glanced out at the glass door, your mum was standing there smiling at the two of you.

"Do you remember a clearing in the middle of the woods?" Tom asked, curiosity painted his features. You thought about it for a minute, hmm, a clearing, not just any clearing, a clearing in the middle of the woods.

"I can't think of any clearings sorry." You said looking down at the IV that was stuck in the back of your hand. You could see Tom look down at the tile floor slumping his shoulders, defeated. "Why is it important or something?"

"Just forget I said anything." He looked up at you, sadness was visible in his beautiful chocolate eyes. That place meant something to him, and you had to try and remember.

Tom showed you some pictures on his phone, some were more recent than others, but there weren't any pictures past the time you were about sixteen or seventeen. You remembered your mum saying there was a falling out, you figured now would be the best time to ask about it.

"What happened between us?"

"What do you mean?" Tom looked nervous, almost like he never wanted you to remember that things weren't always perfect.

"My mum said we had some sort of a falling out and we never talked again." Tom ran a hand through his curls in a nervous fashion. "Look, its fine if you don't want to talk about it-"

"No, it's not that I don't want to talk about it, I mean the whole reason I went looking for you today is I wanted to talk about it with you, it's just- I don't know how to start." His hands clasped and unclasped in his lap and he shifted in his chair.

"Start where ever you need to."

I promise, I will always listen to you.

Truth.