Advice for TheQueenieManiac

Dear John,

I have a series of important auditions in the near future, and whenever I play for an audition, I spiral into a major panic attack, that can take a while to recover from, and my second leader has destroyed my confidence in my musical ability. I don't know what to do, and recently, I feel as though I've had a worse time with anxiety and insomnia, and I think I have depression, but I'm terrified to bring it up to my parents. Can you share some advice?
With lots of love, Ava
P.S If I have a daughter in the future, I'm naming her Lennon

Dear TheQueenieManiac ,

Don't listen to your section leader if they are making you feel bad about your musical ability. I didn't care all those times someone said I couldn't play guitar if my life depended on it.

Also, try to calm yourself before auditions. Maybe listen to songs that calm you beforehand or visualize yourself playing well. Just imagine me saying, "YOU WILL ACE THIS AUDITION OR I WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!" Just kidding. I won't be disappointed, but if this helps you, that's okay too. Imagine adorable cats if that helps.

Your parents are there to help you. You should tell them about your depression, anxiety, and insomnia. They should be understanding.

Think positively. Listen to happy songs, watch happy movies. Do goofy things until you feel your spirits lifting.

For insomnia, you could try meditation before bed. Make sure not to eat dinner shortly before going to bed. Not only does it slow your metabolism down, it also affects your sleep.

Get rid of anxiety by thinking, "I am awesome. I am really awesome. I. AM. FREAKING. AWESOME. And anyone who says otherwise is only fooling themselves." This works for me because I was -- and still kind of am -- insecure. Thinking good things about myself helped me conquer some of my self-doubt.

I hope I helped!

PS: I am so flattered that you are going to name your future daughter after me! I'm not crying! My eyes are just sweating.