Advice for ThisOneStarGazer

John,

I leave for University in a few days, and I'm going to be quite far from home. When you were on tour with the Beatles or traveling in general, how did you handle being away from home? As well, I'm a girl that's into girls and am quite nervous about coming out to my roommate, do you have any advice for that? I don't want to make her uncomfortable, that's all. As well, I think you're a cool dude, keep giving awesome advice!

Ya' girl needs some help,
Lauren

Dear ThisOneStarGazer ,

Congratulations on going to university!

When I was away from home while touring, it was hard because my family was back in England and I was thousands of miles away. I coped with it by calling them on the phone when I got the chance and writing letters occasionally. Just remember to talk to your family frequently, so you don't get too homesick. And when you get the chance you can make occasional visits!

As for coming out to your roommate, you should think of the right time to bring it up with the right atmosphere. Perhaps you can get to know her a little more and when you think she will react positively, you can tell her. Also, make sure to plan what you say beforehand so it is well-thought-out and is easy to grasp. And lastly, give her time. You have most likely known your sexuality for quite some time and have had plenty of time to become familiar with it. It is new to her and it would be wise to allow her time to get accustomed to it.

I'm a cool dude? I think you're cool as well.

Best of luck!