Advice for LucyInTheSky04

Dear John,
I'm starting school in a new country soon, and it's a bit scary for me because it took me long enough to make friends back in my old home, and even then, a lot of people disliked me. What if my interests are taken as weird? Also, I miss my friends from home and I can video call them and all that, but it's just not the same!
Thanks for reading, John!

Love,
LucyInTheSky04
Lucy <3

Dear LucyInTheSky04 ,

I understand how difficult making new friends can be, especially if you're going to new school, because everyone has already formed social cliques. However, don't let this discourage you! Some people will be open to starting a new friendship, but just remember not to force it and give them some space when trying to make new friends.

Sometimes joining after-school activities will help in making friends in a certain area. If you do sports, you'll find other athletic people. If you like debate, you'll find other people with similar interests. Try to fall in with people who share your interests.

All in all, try to be yourself. If you present yourself to them as yourself, they will be prone to like you more. Don't be anyone you aren't. And also smile!

As for your friends back home, try to schedule regular video calls. You can use these video calls to study together. You can also go shopping together over video calls, so you can have fun just as you did when you were together.

Also, make sure to have an annual trip so you can see them, if that's possible.

Just try your best to keep your friendships alive, and think of the positives!

Best of luck!