Advice for darkhorse60

Dear John,
When I write songs, the melodies come out ok, but I can never get the hang of writing lyrics! Do you have any tips?
Thanks!
PS Happy early birthday!!!

Dear darkhorse60 ,

To learn how to write awesome songs, look at the structure and lyrics of existing songs that you dig. This will give you an idea how you should form and write your own song. Also, looking at old poems can also be of some inspiration. That's how "I Am the Walrus" came about!

Form your own unique style. Don't try to write like other people because that's impossible. Your own style says who you are; no one else has it. To flesh this style out, you should write songs A LOT. Writing songs is just like anything else: practice, practice, practice. I didn't start writing songs like "In My Life" at the very beginning! Just be patient and you'll get there.

When writing lyrics, show don't tell. It's much like writing a story. Don't tell the listeners that you're sad because your loved one left you. Tell them how it is to wake up without said person.

RHYME REASONABLY. Don't rhyme cat with bat and bat with hat. Unless you want to write that kind of song!

And lastly, avoid cliches. Write something no one's seen before! Your song is YOURS and it should reflect your personality. And if you can't think of something, just start writing! You may come up with a much of nonsense, but that's never stopped me!

Good luck!

PS: Thank you for the birthday wishes!