Advice for Kaitlin_W1212

Dear John, I'm auditioning for my high schools spring musical "Anything Goes" tomorrow after school. I have been in theatre since freshman year but I really want to earn a big role for my senior year because I'm a little tired of being in the background. Any advice about how to calm my nerves and help me sing for auditions really well?

Dear Kaitlin_W1212 ,

I completely understand your not wanting to be in the background anymore. It would make me mad if I ~ being the excellent actor I am ~ was made a tree or something. Or even worse! Special effects. Ringo got that one time, but didn't seem to have a problem with it. What I would do to calm myself before an audition:

1. Create a playlist of songs that calm you. Play it from the moment you walk in the door until they call your name.

2. BREATHE!!! Takes some deep breaths and think to yourself, "Peach in, green out." I've found this helps for whatever reasons!

3. Visualize the audition. If you think about how you want it to go, that might help you. Also, make sure to imagine the people watching you in their underwear. They won't seem as intimidating when they're sitting their in Superman underpants.

4. Be confident! When you walk out there on that stage, walk like you're John Lennon! Act like you're completely sure of yourself and that you are going to get the lead part of this play and are going to blow those people away with your voice! When you get nervous and think about showing some jittery actions, think about me! Remember what I told you and just imagine my voice in your head like this: "YOU BETTER ACE THIS AUDITION OR I'M GOING TO BE SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!!!" You can imagine me screaming it or saying it calmly, whatever eases your nervousness and makes you smile a little bit.

I hope you don't end up as a tree! Just do your best!