Advice for Kaitlin_W1212

Hey I've got another question of advice: I have to present a speech tomorrow morning about something I like and what personality qualities I exemplify from that particular thing. I chose a Beatles song, but I'm honestly terrified. I've never been good at public speaking and I always feel like I make a fool of myself. I don't know what to do . . .

Dear Kaitlin_W1212 ,

The first thing you could do is practice your speech. If you know your speech flawlessly, you won't feel as nervous. Just practice a lot! Maybe in front of some of your friends so you can get more comfortable with it.

Stage fright is all in the mind. If you stop worrying about how you might muck it up and start thinking, "What if I'm really good at this?" you'll feel more at ease.

If you can't calm yourself down with positive thinking, perhaps you should think of the worst case scenario. The worst scenario might not be that bad, and this could calm your nerves.

Visualize yourself giving an excellent speech and speaking in public.

Try to get over the feeling that making a mistake is the end of the world. I have said many things in front of so many people and I've flubbed more than a few times. The sky did not fall when I messed up! Know that you are perfectly all right if you make a mistake.

Keep calm and don't rush your speech! Start slow and try to get comfortable.

Don't apologize to the audience for being nervous. You might be shaking and sweating, but they most likely won't notice.

You've got this!