Not A Chance

Meryl's POV

" Why are you sitting like something bad happened?" Nora asked me.

" Hugh and Dean got fired. It ain't a good thing anyway." I said.

" Girl, concentrate on your work. You have a presentation next week. You aren't done with it yet." She said to me and I nodded. I opened my sketchbook. I really need to concentrate. I need to do it. My presentation is must needed. I slowly closed it. I can't concentrate.

" What happened?" Nora asked me.

" Can't concentrate." I said to her and she nodded.

" You have to do it. You know this is must needed." She said.

" I know but why has Dean and Hugh got fired!!! This what is eating my brain." I said to her.

" There must be something that we shouldn't discuss in the office. Boss can fire us as well." She said.

" Not that easily. We haven't done anything wrong." I said to her.

" We might have not but this doesn't mean boss will like us to discuss about something against him in the office.". She said.

" We are discussing nothing against him. I just wanted to know the reason. Look he has done it now can't we ask about it? What's wrong, dude? It's just the reason we are asking." I said to her irritatingly.

" No we can't. It's their personal issue. We can't interfere." She said.

" I can't understand. Everything was alright. Now why suddenly they got fired?! I can't understand. Why the hell they got fired!!!?" I asked her.

" I don't know and I don't even want to know." She said.

" Why not? They are your best friends, right?" I asked her.

" If I try to contact them then I will get fired as well. And I don't want to get fired. You know that my family is dependent on me." She said and I sighed.

" Alright, but I have so problem to ask him about the reason. Cause I just can't stand this anymore. I have to ask him. This is too much now." I said.

" Don't ask him." She said.

" Why not?" I asked her.

" Just don't." She said and I sighed.

" Has he come to office today?" I asked her.

" Not yet." She said.

" Are you searching for me?" I heard the voice and looked up. I found my boss standing there in the doorstep. I glared at him as he entered into my cabin.

" Can you leave us alone, Nora? I need to talk to Ms. Hill." He said and I fixed my attention back to my sketchbook.

Neither I want to fight with my boss nor feel that awkward crazy feeling like yesterday. It's not good for me or my heart. I better mind my own damn business. That's the best option to choose and I chose to keep quiet and let him start whatever he wants to say. Nora left silently. I tried my best not to look at him and showing him that I was too busy to talk to him.

" Good morning." He said sitting across me.

" Hmm ... Morning." I said without looking up.

" Any problem?" He asked me.

" No... No problem. Why are you asking that by the way?" I asked him.

" Cause you were searching for me." He said.

" Confident, huh?" I said.

" I thought so." He said.

" I was talking about Dean and Hugh. They are not in the office today." I told him. I lied to see his reaction.

" Oh, they got fired yesterday. Why do you need them anyway?" He asked me.

" Cause they are my friends. If they are not in the office then I have every right to ask where they are why they are not in the office. I have to ask. Shouldn't I ask?" I asked him coldly. He chuckled.

" They had problem with the board of directors and the conditions they put on the contract. So they fired them. More comfortable to work with a few loyal employees than working with thousands of disloyal. It was a must decision that had to be taken before. If only we were aware of this then this all haven't happened in the first place. So they are out now. Completely out of topic." He said and I kept looking at him irritatingly. I looked away.

" Really?!" I said. " I thought they were the one who came up with the idea to bring me here to settle down the problems, right? Now how came they can knit a plot against you?! They were loyal. I know them. They are nothing like that you are accusing them. I believe that. I bet there is something wrong and you will regret about it later." I said to him.

" At first look at me then talk. I don't think I look that bad that you can't even look at me." He said and I sighed. I just don't want to look at him.

" My wish." I said.

" Alright. If you are not looking at me then I am not going to answer your question." He said and I rolled my eyes.

" Don't roll your eyes." He said.

" They might stuck at an awkward position." I mocked him.

" You are improving. Not bad. I kinda like it." He said.

" What do you mean?" I asked him looking at him with the corner of my eyes.

He was in his formal outfit. Looking as always dashing and I looked at myself I wasn't even wearing proper dresses for office. I was wearing comfortable clothes. I prefer that much even if I look like a beggar.

" I mean you are learning." He said.

" Learning what?" I asked him.

" To mess up with me." He said. I looked at him raising one of my eyebrows. " Now why are you killing me with your look?" He asked.

" I didn't got my answers till now." I said to him.

" Hmm, let me think." He said to me. " I decided not to answer your questions." He said to me and I rolled my eyes.

" Then you are not needed here. You can leave." I said irritatingly.

" You can't tell that to me. I am the boss here." He said.

" I remember that. Do you want me to set it as my alarm and ringtone? Will you stop your broken radio then?" I asked him.

" Not a bad idea. You should do it." He said smirking at me. I rolled my eyes

" Will you stop irritating me?" I asked him.

" Not a chance." He replied and I sighed deeply.

" Headache for a boss." I said.

" I heard that." He said going out of my cabin.

" Well, you deserve it." I said.