Chapter 20: Undeleted Photos

Start from the beginning

What if, they no longer want me? I disappointed them. Yes, Joss was right. I had gone through all the seminars and even graduated from Bible School but still, the decision depends on the key leaders of the church.

They all looked at each other. I combed my hair to relax. I waited for them to talk.

Joss smiled bitterly at me before he turned her gaze to Christy. "Sister Christy," he called her. "What do you think about brother Storm? Did he pass?" he asked Christy, which confused me.

"Yes, he did," pigil ang ngiting sabi ni Christy at binaling ang tingin sa akin. Sumeryoso ang mukha niya. "I appoint you, Brother Storm, as a song leader during the concert, got it?" she strictly said and cocked a brow at me.

That style... I was like that when I was their leader and when she was my secretary.

It was a long process before I understood what she meant. Yeah right, she was the leader so she had a right to appoint anyone she wanted to appoint. But I also raised my bow "Seriously?" I said, trying to remind her about her stand as a biblical woman. She never liked exercising authority over men when it comes to ministry, but since her leadership here is just about music, she took over it.

They chuckled while Christy just smiled at me. "Just kidding," she said. "Actually, Pastor Alvin and I already expected this would happen. Kaya, napag-usapan na namin ito. If you decided to come back, we will bring you back to where you started—in the music team," she explained.

I just heaved a sigh. "What an unexpected favor, it is," I said before a grateful smile formed on my lips, "Okay then. By God's grace, I'll do that."

They all beamed at me. Some of them gave me a comforting hug while others remained smiling encouragingly. I missed this interaction so much. I missed them.

***

F A R A

I woke up without Storm's presence beside me, so I went out of the tent to look for him.

"Fara!" I was interrupted when I heard Molly's voice from afar. There she was, running to me.

"Hey!" I greeted her.

"Saan ka 'galing?" she asked. "I've been looking for you."

"Why?"

"Let's take pictures somewhere."

"Huh?"

"Come on!"

Wala na akong nagawa nang hilain niya ako. We took a lot of pictures together, and then she posted them on her social media. She asked for my username on Instagram so that she could tag me.

We were now both sitting on the grass, taking a rest.

"You're not active on IG, huh? Your last post was two years ago." Hinarap niya sa akin ang cellphone niya. Nakita ko naman doon ang familiar na kuha ko na litrato. It was me, smiling and the background was sunset.

"That picture was taken by Storm and that was the day of our honeymoon."

"Really? Sunset is so romantic for the honeymoon." She brought her gaze back to the cellphone. Sinilip ko ang ginagawa niya at nakita kong tinitingnan niya ang mga pictures ko roon. "Who's this?" She faced the cellphone's screen to me again. It was the picture of me with Kirby eating pizza.

"It's Kirby, my b-bestfriend." I wasn't sure if she noticed that I looked away to avoid looking at the picture. I felt the familiar unpleasant feeling in my system—longing.

"Oh." She just nodded and continued scrolling down on my pictures. "Hmm... you have a lot of pictures with him, huh?"

"Yeah, b-but he already passed away."