Chapter 20: Undeleted Photos

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You're right. I'll try my best to use my faith whenever I'm scared and worried," she said.

I gently pinched her nose. "Good."

We continued our conversation and eventually, she fell asleep. It was obvious that she was tired because of the outdoor games we did earlier. For the second time, she fell asleep in my tent.

"Storm?" I heard someone call me from the outside of the tent. I knew it was Christy's voice.

I opened the zipper of the tent and Christy's face emerged―hindi lang pala siya ang nasa labas kun'di pati na ang music team.

"Hi, Kuya!"

"Bro!"

Bati nilang lahat sa akin. Napangiti lang ako at tinaas ang isa kong kamay na nangangahulugang "saglit lang" dahil saglit ko munang nilapitan si Fara. I gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead before I went out of the tent and came with them.

***

We sat and formed a circle on the lawn. I told them everything about me and Fara, even the status of my spiritual life, what happened to me when I quit serving God, and the problem with our company. After telling them the truth, they started to beg me to come back.

"I wanna talk to pastor Alvin first," I told them.

"Visit him when you have time or he will visit you," Kuya Joss suggested.

"I think so."

"He misses you, bro," natatawang sabi ni Carlo sa akin.

"May times nga na Storm ang natatawag niya kay Christy, e," Glen said.

They laughed and I just smiled.

Nabanggit nila sa akin na si Christy ang humahawak ng music team ngayon.

I loved Pastor Alvin because he was a one-of-a-kind Pastor. He was Christy's uncle, so they had the same strategy in preaching, full of enthusiasm. And Christy transferred that to me.

"We're planning for a big event this new year," Bryan told me.

"I'll help, either financially or wherever I can help," I said.

Nakita ko ang makahulugan na tinginan nila sa bawat isa. Napakunot naman ang noo ko dahil doon.

Bryan cleared his throat before he stared at me and spoke, "Can you be the song leader together with Christy?"

My lips parted. "Me?"

"Yes, you."

Tumango naman ang iba bilang pagkumpirma.

"I don't think that can be. I am inactive."

"You're right." Si Joss ang nagsalita. "But, you know how ready you are for coming back to your ministry... aren't you?"

Natahimik ako ng ilang sandali sa sinabi niya.

Huminga siya nang malalim. "What do you want us to do? Idaan ka muna namin sa training for the qualification bago tumayo, kahit na napagdaanan mo na lahat ng iyon? Lagpas pa nga yata roon." He shook his head as if he wasn't agreeing with what he said. "Pagsasayang lamang ng oras iyon 'pag nagkataon."

"I don't wanna do something that is a mistake in the eyes of the church again," makahulugang tugon ko.

Sila naman ngayon ang ang natahimik sa sinabi ko.

"I'm more than ready and willing, Bro, but still, you have to make sure that appointing me as a song leader in that event will not make an issue."

I don't think it was acceptable for the church that a backslider like me should stand that easily, after all, that happened. Hindi ko alam kung karapatdapat pa rin ako para sa kanila.