Chapter 13: Fulfill the Vow

Magsimula sa umpisa

I came to the "What do you think?" part of the book. "Do you agree with philosopher Thomas Aquinas that "There is within every soul a thirst for happiness and meaning?" I asked as I turned to her.

She looked back at me, clearly thinking about it.

"Actually..." she spoke in a low voice. "That's what I feel right now. I thirst for happiness and meaning in my life." Napatitig ako sa kaniya nang sabihin niya 'yon. I knew it.

"Do you believe our lives can have happiness and meaning?" I asked.

She shrugged and sadness filled her eyes. "I don't know... I'm confused."

I smiled a little and said, "My life has happiness and meaning now. I've found it in Christ... You can find it, too, in Him."

Napatitig siya sa akin. Curiosity was written all over her face. It took a few seconds before she answered, "But our lives are not the same. Mine is complicated." Humina ang boses niya sa huling pangungusap.

"Our lives are not the same, but God is still the same. He is still the Almighty God who created the heavens and earth. Your life is just a tiny thing compared with the galaxy. You are just one of the creatures in the galaxy. If God could make a massively complex thing like the galaxy only by His Word, what more can He do in your life? Do not underestimate the power of God. It can change lives no matter how bad and complicated they were. You just have to believe..."

"But how? How will I know the purpose and meaning of my life? How can I be happy? I know Jesus already and I believe He exists. What now?"

"When you don't know what is the meaning and purpose of your life, ask the One who made it."

Her brows furrowed in wonder. "How?" she asked.

"Have you ever tried to buy a cellphone?" I asked.

She nodded.

"There's a manual in its box, right? And that manual will give you instructions and information about the cellphone you bought, then you'll know how to use it."

"You're right," she muttered.

"Let's relate it to you. The cell phone is you; your maker is God, and your manual is the Bible. If you don't know what is the purpose of your life, you will see it in your Bible - that is the manual of your life."

She didn't say anything and so I continued.

"God already planned everything about you even before you existed. You exist today because you have a purpose..."

"What was that purpose of mine?" she asked, her face contorted in a serious expression.

"To have a relationship with God..." I answered. "You were made to glorify Him. You were made for His glory. You exist because God gives you a chance to know Him and experience His love and grace. He wants you to know how good and faithful He is... Do you still remember the Gospel I shared with you before? Jesus Christ suffered on the cross just to save a sinner like us. God knew we would and will break His heart each day every time we sin, but He still chose to make us exist and He made a plan of redemption by giving Jesus Christ so that we can be saved from hell - the punishment we deserve. That's why we are still alive and existing. Isn't it a privilege to live in this world?"

Walang nag-iba sa emosyon niya. She was still unhappy. It had been a year since I last saw her smile. That was the day of our Noche Buena at the hacienda.

I smiled at her. "Perhaps the people around you don't seem to care, but there is Someone who died on the cross 2000 years ago so that you could find hope in Him. Through His sacrifice, there remains a chance for sinners to repent and be saved. His name is Jesus Christ. Jesus did what you couldn't and wouldn't—he did it all for you. He endured scourging with switches of thorns and brambles, lashes from whips with spiked tips, and chains with hooks at the ends. He bore all that pain. They crucified Him on the cross, shaming and mocking Him, yet He endured it all. Most importantly, He lived under the law and fulfilled it completely, something you could never do. Jesus took on flesh knowing He would suffer, because He alone is worthy to be a holy and perfect sacrifice for our sins. Only He can die for us. Only Him. No other else. So, He did everything... for us."