Trans Positivity Week - Monday - Acceptance

March 31 was Transgender day of visibility so I'm going to be doing a trans positivity week and I tried to make all seven of the stories connect, of course it isn't perfect though-
Here's Monday-

------

Nico always knew, he supposes. He never felt comfortable unless he was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, he never liked his hair long, and he never liked getting grouped with the girls in gym class.

He really didn't like it when he was twelve and got his first period.

He had to talk to his father, Hades, since his mother and sister were no longer in the picture. He helped Nico, of course, he was understanding and he was nothing but kind. Nico was flushed and embarrassed, but his father didn't mind. He helped educate Nico on it, and Nico thanked him.

That night at dinner, he pushed his food around on his plate - Hades had been nice enough to make his favorite dish, even let him skip school - but something just felt. . off. He knew he should talk to his father, he was there to help him grow of course, but he wasn't sure how to put his thoughts into words, he didn't know if it was just normal to feel like this, he didn't know if it was a good or bad thing to feel like this.

Hades notices him acting off, and asks if he's okay. Nico shifts in his seat.

"I don't know," he replies, frowning, "I feel weird." Hades frowns.

"How so?" Nico sighs. He wasn't sure.

"I don't feel right," he mumbles, "I feel uncomfortable."

"Do you have any idea why?" He asks and Nico pauses to think.

"This isn't the first time I've felt like this," he starts, "I think it's because I don't like my hair long," he says. He figures that could be it, he always seem to be more upset when it is long, that's why he always keeps it to his shoulders.

"I can cut your hair after dinner if you'd like," He offers, and Nico nods with a frown, "Anything else?" Hades prompts gently. Nico thinks again.

"I don't like my room," he states. Hades' frowns again.

"Why? You chose how you wanted to design it." Nico knows that, but he didn't design it how he originally wanted. He had saw Will's room on a play date, and he loved his room. He had planned to paint his walls blue and his covers green. But then he went to Annabeth's house, and her room was completely different, it was more girly.

He painted his walls pink and got polka dotted covers. He wonders how he could tell his father that.

"It looks like Annabeth's room," he decided, and Hades' hums, "I also don't want to wear dresses anymore." Hades' frowns again.

"I let you choose your clothing," he said, Nico shifted.

"I know," he mumbled, sounding slightly whiny - why was Hades questioning everything? - "but I feel wrong in dresses." Hades' frown softens, and he's quiet for a minute.

"Nicolette," He says, and Nico looks in his eyes for a second before looking away again, scrunching his hand into his purple shorts nervously, "I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to answer me honestly, okay?"

Nico's silent for a second before he nods, muttering an 'okay'.

"Do you think she is the correct pronoun for you?" Nico thinks. He isn't sure, really.

"I don't know," he mumbles. Hades looks at him for a second.

"Do you want to try it out?" He asks, Nico shifts, then nods, "Nicolette is my son, and he," Hades shrugs as he thinks for a second, "he likes cats."

Nico almost lets out a breath. He liked the way that sounded. It seemed more fitting, and it oddly made him a bit more comfortable. He lets his tense shoulders relax, and he doesn't look up from his lap.

"Do you like he better?" Hades asks after a second and Nico hesitantly nods, biting his lip.

"Is that okay?" He asks quietly.

"Of course, son," Nico feels a small smile play onto his lips, and he raises his gaze to his plate, "If you're finished eating we can cut your hair now," he offered. Nico nods again, and he's standing up. Hades puts their plates away, and Nico goes to the bathroom. Hades' doesn't take long to join him

"How short would you like it, Nicolette?" He asks, bringing out the scissors.

"Uh," Nico shifts and looks at Hades through the mirror. He had been calling himself Nico in his head for weeks, and he really liked it, "Can you call me Nico?" he asks quietly. Hades gets a fond smile, and he nods.

"Of course, Nico," Nico smiles widely, and tells Hades the he wants his hair to go just below his ears. He tears up a little when he sees it.

------

Nico is around fifteen when it becomes harder to hide his chest behind sweatshirts. He only realized this when someone at school asked him what was on his chest, and he quickly excused himself to use the restroom.

When he got home, he did a bit of research, and he learned what a binder was. When his father got home, he took a few deep breaths to calm his nerves, then went downstairs.

He asked Hades to get a binder, and he agreed. He immediately pulled out his laptop.

"Is there a specific binder you want? A specific brand," Gods, Nico loved his dad. Hades handed over his laptop when Nico said yes, and he typed in what he wanted.

Hades let Nico get three ("In case something happens, you have a back up.") and he paid extra so they would get to their house faster.

------

Hades and Will waited outside of the bathroom door as he tried on his first binder, and he was glad for the support. Will was reading directions on how to put it on properly, telling him how it should feel. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but he got the hang of it, and he smiled at himself in the mirror. He turns to his side, glad to see it was flat.

With a burst of confidence, he opened the bathroom door in just his binder and sweatpants.

Will's face turns red when he sees him, but he's smiling, and Nico can't say he minds when his eyes scan him head to toe.

"How does it feel?" Hades asks, oblivious to Will (so obviously) checking his son out, "Can you breath okay? Does it feel okay? It doesn't hurt, does it?"

"Dad," his voice is breathy, and it's not because he has trouble breathing, "It feels okay, I can breath. This-" he lets out a happy laugh, and he feels like he could cry, "I feel amazing." Hades smiles, seeming to relax some.

"Good. I'm glad you're happy."

"I'm really proud of you Nico," Will mumbles, and Nico beams. He's just so incredibly happy.

———

(1170)