Flowers

Hanahanki Disease- The Hanahaki Disease is an illness born from one-sided love, where the patient throws up and coughs of flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. The infection can be removed through surgery, but the feelings disappear along with the petals.

———

It happened on Friday during class. He had been coughing a lot that day, the feeling of something stuck in his throat.

And, finally, in the middle of his fourth class, it happened, black and red roses and petals falling from his mouth.

The room around him became quit as he looked at the flowers now sitting on top of his notes, and he could hear whispers all around him. Looking up, he saw the enitre class looking at him with sympathetic expressions, and his breathing picked up.

He looked back down as he started coughing again, flowers coming up once again and tears prickling his eyes as he realized what this meant.

He stood up, looking at the teacher.

"I-"

"You're excused," she said, cutting him off. Nico quickly made his way out of the room, eyes down and tears threatening to spill as the class watched him go.

When he got to the bathroom, he sat against the wall, bringing his knees to his chest and burying his head in his legs, then let out a sob.

Holding himself tighter, he started crying harder, unable to keep his shoulders shaking as he sobbed, soon being surrounded by the cursed flowers.

After a couple of minutes, there was someone sitting down next to him.

"Nico?" A soft voice mumbled, and Nico tended as he recognized it as Will's. More tears fell, and he kept his head down, "can you tell me who she is?" Nico clutched his legs, his shoulders shaking with another sob.

"It's- It's not a she, Will."

"That's- That's okay, Nico. You're still my best friend." Nico leaned his head up to cough into his elbow, flowers falling to the ground.

"Does it hurt?" He asked quietly, "I mean- physically. Coughing up flowers?" Nico looked up, refusing to look at Will.

"K-Kinda."

"There's- Nico there's blood on your mouth." Nico wipes at his mouth, looking at his hand, and swallowed thickly.

"Can I- Can I die from this? Is or it just going to be flowers?" Nico mumbled. Will shook his head.

"I've done some research on it. You're not going to die," (Nico's never heard a more disappointing sentence), "you can get it surgically removed, and by doing that you would loose your feelings for- for who ever it is."

Nico frowned, he didn't know if he wanted to loose his feelings for Will, because he still had hope, and he didn't want to not like Will if Will ever did start liking him. Nico sighed, putting his head back in his legs. In the back of his mind, he knew there was no chance with Will.

"Who is he?" Nico looked over at Will, contemplating if he should-

"You," he mumbled, looking away again. There was a pause, then the sound of Will shuffling.

"I'm sorry, Nico," he started softly, "I- I'm sorry. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because," Nico cries, "because I knew there was no chance with you. But I kept trying to tell myself that there was but you- but you won't like me. You won't ever like me. I- I tried to not like you either- I tried to hate you but I can't, Will, and I hate myself for liking you so much. I- I hate myself so much." He weeped, hugging himself.

"I'm sorry-"

"Stop!" Nico nearly shouted, grabbing at his hair, "s-stop saying you're sorry, please."

"Is- is there anything I can do to make you feel better?" Nico took a deep breath and stood up, leaning down and collecting the flowers in his hands.

"Pretend this conversation never happened and- and don't act differently around me, please." He mumbled as he threw the flowers into the trash can.

Just then, the bell rang, and sighing, he followed Will towards class.

———

~I just learned about the Hanahaki Disease- sorry for a short chapter.

(694)