CHAPTERFIFTYTHREE

CHAPTER FIFTY THREE

"Hey mom, can I have the keys to the lake house for the weekend?"

"What?" the redhead's mom replied back incredulously, "absolutely not! I know what you want to do with it—"

"You really don't."

"—you're not going to throw a party over the weekend and trash that place. That is not acceptable."

"I literally want to have one person over," Spooky deadpanned.

"You're not fooling me, sweetheart."

"Mom, I swear, I wouldn't ever throw a party, I'm not that dumb. I just want to have one person over. For two days."

"And why can't you just have this friend over here?"

"Because everyone will be home and I don't want to have to deal with that? And it's his birthday."

"Uh huh," she mumbled back. "Midnight, get down here!"

"Okay!" came a female voice. Spooky Jim groaned, looking up at the ceiling as his shorter mother folded her arms.

The girl appeared, her natural red hair cascading down her shoulders, dots lining along her face. "Yeah, Mom?"

"I'll pay you twenty bucks if you tell me what your brother over here wants to do with the lake house. And I want an honest answer." The mother glared at her daughter, who looked confused.

"He's too much of a dick to throw a successful party, so I honestly have no clue. He goes to parties, Mom. Doesn't host 'em." Midnight stared for a second, eyes widening as she looked at her brother, "Oh, is this about B—"

"It's his boyfriend's birthday this weekend!" Spooky's brother interjected, walking into the kitchen where the two other kids stood.

The redhead fumed, sending a death glare to his brother. T only shrugged.

"Boyfriend?"

Spooky said nothing.

"Yeah," T smirked, "it's that Blurryface kid he's had over a few times. The one with the red eyes."

The teenager's mother narrowed her eyes, mumbling a soft "Leave," to her other children before turning to face her eldest son. The two teenagers walked off, T laughing. "Sit down," she sighed.

"Yes ma'am." The redhead took a seat at the kitchen table across from his mother, who had a hand curled under her chin.

"Boyfriend, huh? Not a girlfriend?"

"No ma'am."

"Is this where you've been for the past month? Hanging around with this 'boyfriend' of yours?"

"Yes ma'am."

"How long has this been going on, Spooky?" the woman groaned quietly, staring at her deadbeat son who looked like he has seen a ghost.

"A bit," the brown eyed boy admitted. He gulped. "Please don't tell Dad."

"I won't, but I would like to know why you didn't tell me."

"I didn't think you'd like it." Spooky darted his eyes down. "I didn't tell you beforehand, it'd be awkward. You don't...it doesn't seem like you like him anyways."

"I mean, I find it really odd that you're not with a girl instead, but if you're happy, I guess that's okay. I don't get it though. It's not a good influence on anyone, especially your father with his community."

"Yeah," Spooky whispered awkwardly. "Sorry."

"It's okay, but just keep your um," she hesitated, "relationship out of our faces. And don't force it on to your siblings. And you know what will happen if your dad finds out about this."

"That won't be a problem, ma'am," Spooky nodded, wanting to punch his mother across the face. Imagine being this subtly homophobic. He was half tempted to invite Blurry over and make out with him right in front of her face.

He wasn't going to do that.

"So, can I have the keys?" he finally asked.

"Yeah, is it keeps you and whatever his name is out of here, but if you trash the house in any way, I'm telling your father. And you know he sure as hell won't like it," the haggard brunette replied, sharp eyes directed at her son.

"We won't trash it, promise. Thank you Mom. Also for not yelling me about.. the thing."

"You kids would call the police on me if I kicked you out or anything," she nodded, sending a sickly smile to the pale boy, giving him a half hug. The boy detached himself quickly. "Keep to yourself this weekend, and if I find anything dirty at that house I will not hesitate to terminate this. I'm only doing this because we know how your father is. Get out, I have to clean the kitchen."

Conversation over.

AUTHORS NOTE

spooky's mom is gross