Chapter 40

"Mum?"
"Hi honey" I shoot up and hug her tighter than I've ever hugged anyone. I'm so glad she's here, she can make it all better, she's a nurse so maybe she can give me some answers. Why is it that hospitals never tell you anything? "It's alright sky, let it out" I try to cry but no tears form in my eyes.
"Have you spoken to Mr and Mrs Jackson?"
"Yes, I had breakfast with them this morning, they're not blaming you Sky. Don't blame yourself."
"It's my fault though mum"
"It's not"
"It is! If we hadn't come here Amy would never have met me and she'd still be fine!"
"Don't beat yourself up about it" I bury my face into her shoulder. "Tell me what happened"
"It's a long story mum"
"I've got time haven't i?"
"When are you going back home?" I ask trying to change the subject
"Later tonight, I have to get home to your dad and Jaimee"
"What about me?"
"I've talked with Bart and he said that you can stay with the boys, I know you've grown so close to them, they'll keep you safe, then you'll come home when Amy is better"
"If she gets better" I add
"She will, that girl is a fighter" I nod "Don't try and change the subject little miss, what happened?"

I recall the events of the past few days to my mum as she sits there showing a range of emotions: laughter, sadness, shock. I think she's just glad that I actually slept. She sits stunned into silence for a while.

"Let me see your tummy" I shake my head covering my stomach with my hands. "Sky, I'm not taking no for an answer" her voice becomes stern, motherly. I lift my top up partly to reveal my scar. "I'm so glad you went to the hospital" she must have seen the guilt on my face that I was trying so desperately to hide "Skylar Marie Potter! Do not tell me that you didn't go to the hospital" I say nothing because she already knows the answer "Skylar you idiot"
"Gee thanks mum"
"It's true you stupid girl" anger boils up inside of me, ready to explode
"Well I didn't need it did I? I'm fine, I'll always be fine! I'm 15 mum, you don't need to baby me anymore! If I can survive Anna's attacks then I can survive anything. On. My. Own. Without. You." She looks angry but also shocked at the same time. I don't know what she's going to do, I didn't mean it but I can't let her win.

Suddenly I feel a cold hand across my cheek. She hit me. I can't believe she hit me. She's never hit me, ever. I say nothing as I stand up and speed walk away.
"Sky" she calls after me in an apologetic tone but I ignore her, my fast walk soon turns into a light run as I make my way up to Matt's room.

I step out of the elevator and hear a voice from behind me
"Hi Sky!"