Chapter 10

I jump in bed next to him. I had forgotten that I was wearing my pyjamas.
"Cute pj's" Matt giggles.
"Shush you, I woke up like 10 minutes ago" I say and decide that I should try to explain this morning to him.
"Matt, I'm really sorry that I missed the breakfast this morning, I overslept and Amy didn't wake me! I have no idea why she didn't want to wake me"
"I think I know why?"
"Oh really? Enlighten me" I smirk. He thinks he's knows my best friend more than I do.
"Well, it's obvious that Shawn likes you Sky. I can't blame him, I mean look at you" he says licking his lips "and my guess is that Amy doesn't like that. Therefore, she didn't want to wake you so she could have time alone with mr Mendes." Ok I take that back, he does know her better than I do.
"Why would she do that? She knows that I've had a crush on Matt since forever and that I secretly hope that he'll like me back, so why would she think I liked Shawn enough for her to exclude me?" I forgot who I was talking to.
"Sky?"
"Oh crap, Matt, I forgot who I was talking to. Excuse me while I die of embarrassment" I say, pulling the covers over my head to hide my bright red cheeks. Matt pulls back the covers and brings his hand up to cup my cheek. He leans in to kiss me. I panic. The last time someone cupped my cheek they punched me right between the eyes.

"Please don't hurt me!" I say shielding my face.
"What? Sky, I'm not going to hurt you, I'd never hurt you!" Matt says looking hurt. I snap back into reality.
"Oh my god, Matt I'm so sorry, it's just the last person who did that, wasn't trying to kiss me." I say as a tear rolls down my cheek. Matt wipes it away with his sleeve as he kisses my forehead.
"I always knew there was something more to you then you let on" he says "please tell me Sky" I lean in and put my head on his chest, staring at the ceiling, I let out a sigh.
"Ok, promise you won't tell anyone, the only person I've ever told is Amy"
"I promise Skylar"
"Well it all started when I was about 7, you could say that I wasn't the prettiest of 7 year olds and people thought that they'd use that to hurt me. They were right. They teased me about my weight, my looks, the clothes I wore and mostly my hair colour." Matt cuddled me tighter. "It got really bad around the time that I was 11, they made me hate everything about myself. It got so bad that I started cutting myself. And now even though those people are thousands of miles away I still do it, I can't stop Matt, it hurts so much, I just can't stop." Matt reaches for my wrists and brings them up to his face. He looks at them and kisses each individual scar before kissing my head.

"Sky, I know there's nothing I can say that will make your past better but you're safe and you're loved now"
"Thanks Matt"
"So this is why you moved to America"
"Yeah, when things started getting physical and I came home with black eyes, cuts and bruises. My parents started getting suspicious. And then one day when the school called my mum, telling that I'd broken my leg, my parents made me tell. I had to tell them about everything. That the reason for the black eyes wasn't that I'd walked into a wall or got hit in the face with a basketball or a dodgeball or a rounders ball. And that I hadn't broken my leg, 3 kids in my grade had broken it for me." The tears were streaming now. "And then when my dad got the job offer in Huntington Beach, my parents said we had to move, before I decided that I couldn't handle it and took my life."

Matt let out a gasp. "Yeah, so you wanted to know, so now you do."
"Oh Sky, I had no idea. You hide it so well" he pulled me into a warm embrace. "I'm never going to let anyone hurt you again." With that we drifted into a deep sleep.

We woke with a start as there was a knock on the door.